Sewer line angles

What is done when a house's sewer line is below the level of the main sewer line? I didn't think those lines were pressurized, so how does a house's sewage system work in those conditions?
For instance in my neighborhood half the houses are about 20 feet below my street. In this instace would the city install a pumping unit for those houses or would they route the sewer line towards those houses and out? I guess it depends on the situation, but still, if the waste treatment plant is above your house (vertically that is) does that mean your sewage is pumped to that plant or is sewage all gravity fed?
Always wondered about that, I never hear pumps running under the street and I didn't think lines were pressurized anyway.
Generally sewage is routed to the low point of the development. If that is below the level of mainline to the sewage plant then a pump station is developed. The output of the pump station is under pressure. Most of the pump station is below grade. You can sometimes spot one by looking for a concrete pad, surrounded by a fence. On the pad is a watertight electrical box and usually a backup generator. The watertight box is the control for the multiple pumps located below ground in the pit.

occasionally a single home, or a few homes on a street get trash or grinder pumps that pulverize the waste and raise it so gravity can do the rest.
my father in law has oine in his basement, since the sewer line is above the basement floor

Actually they seem to have thought out the idea pretty well. Usually they use two pumps with circuitry to alternate them to equalize wear. That way there is a backup in place, tested, ready to go if one pump fails. They are fed by utility electric power and usually have the generator as backup. Add a large pit and lots of monitors, alarms and a maintenance force and they work well. Ever heard of sewer system failure?

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:30:23 -0800, "Eigenvector"

Restrict all bathrooms to the second floor or higher?
Cities often have to pump sewage from a low lying area to a higher trunk line. Where houses are below the street sewer line, I would imagine that the responsibility is on the owner (builder) to install a residential sewage pump to provide the lift to reach the street sewer. Practice may vary in different regions, states and countries.

It is referred to as a "force(d) main". You may or may not see, hear, or smell the pump house, but it will be there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local) http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

Are you sure they use your street for the main sewer, is there a street behind their backyard at a lower grade?

Another thing you may not be aware of is that the sewer lines are usually very deep in most places. Layout of the entire system is done by an engineer so that it works properly.
Don Young
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:19:19 -0800, "Eigenvector"

In Austin, many of the pump stations are located 70 feet under ground.