Sewer Drain Access Pipe

My mother has a 4" PVC pipe and cap (sewer access I assume) protruding about 2' above grade, that is both unsightly, and in the way of a new patio.
Do most codes require a standard height above ground for these? We'd like to cut it down, so that she can at least put a bench over it
Buck Turgidson wrote:

yeah sadly they probably require it a little above ground
how deep is it? I had one and extended the line away from the sidewalk it was a big trip hazard. most sewer lines are 18 inches deep or more so they arent hit with shovels....
consider some elbows etc to move it out of the way.....
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Charleston SC doesn't have, or doesn't enforce any height above grade. My impulse is to ask the Building Official office. TB

It should be in a access box the pipe should have a female treaded end with a plug. The box should be set at grade and the pipe below grade. It's called a clean out, it's for rooter access. this is the type of box
http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p37950536?sourceid

Like that but round and made of concrete. Plumbers and such often just call them "Christy boxes" for the most common company who makes them. http://www.christyconcrete.com/valve_boxes_catalog_1.html
The cap to mine is 4" below grade and covered with such a box. Call the city for requirements, your location and climate might justify a local variance to the norm Do you get floods? for example, this might prevent runoff from inundating the sanitary sewer system particularly if it is separate from the storm drains. Usually sealing the cleanout with a thread-on cap is sufficient at any level.
That pipe is probably a vent for the main sewer trapdoes it have a solid cover or one with openings?
if a vent it must be above ground level so flooding heavy rain cant get in the sanitary sewer.
best approach is relocate it, a simple job opther than digging it up