Sewer clean out installation

Page 1 of 3
We recently had Roto-Rooter come out and snake out our sewer connection. Apparently tree roots were clogging the pipes so they were cleaned out. Getting rid of the roots is only a temporary problem and the Roto-Rooter guy told us that the root problem was on the city side of the sewer and they would be responsible for repairing it. Well, we gave the city (Roswell, Georgia) a call and they sent a guy out and he told us that they can't do anything because we don't have a sewer clean out in our yard. Our house is 30 years old so I guess they didn't put them in back then.
Does anyone know how much these cost to install? The city wants to charge $1400 but I think this is way too much. Anyone have a similar experience?
never heard of such a thing. Here we put the main clean-out in the basement right before it exits through the foundation. Typically the problem you describe is on the homeowner side of things; usually in the front yard. The town sewer is in the street and you tie into that. I am not saying it is impossible for what roto-router said to be true, but it sounds unlikely.
As for what the town said, I am shocked that not having a clean out in the front yard is their "out". What difference does it make if you use the one in basement or one a couple feet downstream out in the yard?
I would like to know myself how you make out and what the rules are exactly. Ask the town where exactly the clean-out needs to be. Ask them if you dig it up to install clean-out and they find the problem to be the city's problem will they reimburse you.
Sorry I can't be any help really. BTW the 1400 does not sound way out of wack.

Here in SoCal we have what we call 'property line clean-outs. Usually 18" back from the side-walk. The City won't do anything without one. They don't want to be liable for coming onto your property.. But if you have one, and there are roots past it, this city will take care of replacing that section of line. And if the City will do it for $1400, sounds right to me.
It's just a 'T' (more likely a 'Y' and a 45) installed in the lateral. Call a licensed plumber for another estimate. There's some digging involved, and maybe the plumber will let you do it. If it's too deep, it should be done with a back hoe and someone experienced in working down in a ditch.

guy
30
According to British Common Law, the municipality owns a 'road allowance' which is 6 chains or 66'. Therefore the portion of drain 33' from the middle of the road is town'ps respons to main'tn. Common Law is the basis of NAmerican&Aussie Laws and applies just about everywhere with the exception of Quebec and some parts of the Louisianna purchase referred to as parishes. Price is reasonable, given that trenches do cave in and kill many pipelayers.

Oh good grief. What goofy DIY wannabe book did you read that in? Road widths vary. Property lines vary. Utility easements vary. R.O.W. easements vary. That said, homeowners can be responsible to either their specific property line, the utility easement line, or the actual city main. This is a jurisdictional mandate that will vary from city to city. There is no "magic" measurement from the center of a road. There is also no "standard" code that requires a cleanout at the property line. But... any incorporated municipality is free to create their own specific codes whether other areas do so or not. As to the $1,400 price - If the line can be hand dug (less than 4' deep) - it's too much for almost anywhere in the USA. If it's 5' or deeper and/or requires excavation equipment - it is a fair price.
Bob Wheatley

There's a slice and dice home repair roto-rooter style attachment from available for rent from Home Depot that deals with the root thing fairly cheap ~$75. Then you have to follow-up with a root-killer poison to prevent the roots from growing again and it pretty much kills off all ground-life in it's path to the ocean.
Normally, it's not effective because the drainwater/poison runs at the bottom of the pipe and the roots come down from above, hence a big waste of money as the roots grow downward from the top fairly quickly. Flooding the drain will not work to reach the top roots with poison. There isn't enough pressure to fill the drain without blocking the other end and allowing the air out in order to allow the drainpipe to fill with poison.
$1400. to get a ditchwitch and lay a new and absolutely clean drainageway is a far more than reasonable price, and extremely cost-effective in the long run. Expect $3000. at jobs end unless you know the person. (Still a reasonable price in the long run).
Heavy equipment or hard labor and time. $1400 is real cheap for a major recurrent problem. Brother's a plumber, dad's a gardener, other brother runs heavy equipment. Run a new drain line.
*grin*
TheNIGHTCRAWLER (Me? I run data transfer.)
TheNIGHTCRAWLER,
Ummm...I'm going to take a wild guess here. You're from the "alt.home.repair" and not the plumbing newsgroup, aren't you?

posted: atl.general,alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing
I'm from atl.general
Had a girlfriend who had to go through this exact same thing with her grandmothers house. Problems?
Took the roots about two months to clog things back up thoroughly using the slicer/dicer.
Someone sent you a genie in a bottle from the distance. Thanks would be nice but not necessary in my line of work.
NC (Life - Cut the resolution, pathetic, and indicative of current society.)

time of reinvasion varies depending on the roots' species. sometimes there's a noninvasive tree who's just too close. (lots of mud in the line, but it washes downstream during the rooting)
Need a job ? See Ned Flanders. Top of the line union wages. 60 days paid vacation your own van with new tools. 4 day work week. heh friendly atmosphere. bonus for timely work.

there's a

washes downstream

I offer advice, and I do it once for free.
NC
TheNIGHTCRAWLER,

Thanks. I think we got our money's worth.

using
Ned likes people who work for free.
I dont get it, but I do like it if you work for free.

Always room for Gofer.

Define: Gopher bitch.
The terrain isn't nearly as friendly nowadays.
Just being friendly.
TheNIGHTCRAWLER http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q fine%3A+bitch&btnG=Google+Search
state said EXACTLY what?
I believe I'll require a link.
Several, if not more.

Sounds like the govn't.
Do you like this.
NC

it
If it was good for you.

$1400 is just to install a sewer cleanout. Not to replace pipes.