Sewage hole

I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom. Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Reply to
francan00

Most of the plumbers I see doing this use a towel or large rag. I think that there are plugs available for this as well.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Stuff a rag into the top of the pipe. Keep it covered as long as you'd like.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For the few dollars I prefer the much better seal of one of the expanding rubber plugs. A rag will keep debris from falling down the hole, but does little to prevent gasses from escaping.

Reply to
Pete C.

stuff it with a rag, cover with a piece of plywood, anything will work. And you can leave it that way forever if you please.

S. Barker

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:9b388651-acaa-4e6d-8053- snipped-for-privacy@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

As replied by others, often a rag is good enough.

Now, you're working, your working, taking breaks, run to store 3 times for supplies, walk dogs, leave over night(s). You're all done. Put new wax gasket on toilet and set flange bolts. You carry toilet clumsily by standing over holding with bowl between legs. You get it set, bolted down, connect water, turn on. Tank fills no supply line leaks or bowl leaks. This is wonderful.

What did you forget?????

Flush it and you will find out. It will overflow or flush bad. You left the rag in the hole and put the toilet on dummy. If your real lucky, when you pull the toilet the rag will be there. If not, it's jammed down in the piping someplace. Probably in the worst place.

You would not be the first one to do this Francan.

Reply to
Red Green

Put a rag into a plastic bag, and stuff it into the hole. or even stuff a bunch of plastic bags into the bag.

Reply to
Bob F