Sewage Backing Up Into Shower, But Basement Drains Are Clear

Consumer Reports had an evaluation of various toilet paper dissolving characteristics in the past month or so, if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to see how CHarmin made out in their studies.

Reply to
hrhofmann

replying to hrhofmann , soloman wrote: I don't know what it is about charmin, but in my experience, it has been clog city!

As soon as I stopped using charmin, the clogging stopped immediately.

I just wonder if it built up further down the line...........

Reply to
soloman

Quilted Northern and Charmin were the worst at disintegration according to their test. Scott and Angel Soft were the best. Scott Extra Soft is the higher rated one. They had a single Best Buy. It is White Cloud Ultra Soft and Thick. The reader reviews aren't very positive. The White Cloud isn't available at Walmart as it was supposed to be. Apparently it's also suffered a downgradein quality recently. Consumer Reports is good to read. They bring up issues I wouldn't think of if not for reading it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

replying to Dean Hoffman , soloman wrote: I personally like Costco's Kirkland branded "blue bag" stuff. Costco also has a pink/purble bag that is softer I think, but I don't buy that one.

In my opinion, Scotts is CRAP, no pun intended. So thin! Costco also sells Scotts but they are the individual wrapped rolls. Must be for a business that hates its customers.

And Costco also sells the horrible CHARMIN. Never again!

Reply to
soloman

I quit using Charmin a few years ago because it kept clogging our toilet. The last straw was a humiliated visitor who apologized when she flushed/the toilet backed up. I told her it was the t.p., not her fault, and cleared it up. I've used the Costco/Kirkland t.p. since and haven't had a single clog.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

replying to SoloMan, soloman wrote: Now that I am thinking about it, for the past few months, occasionally there would be a smell in the downstairs level of my home. I tended to think that it came from the bathroom and/or shower drain. The same drain that backed up last week.

There is a P trap in there and I would run the water weekly just to make sure it was filled. But perhaps the plumbing was "slightly" backing up causing there to be a slight mixture of sewage water in the P trap of that shower? It definitely never came up through the drain before, but there was definitely a smell. I remember pouring some bleech down that drain a few months ago because of the smell. And I remember smelling a smell Wednesday night, the night before the sewage started backing up through the drain.

Perhaps this issue was coming for awhile now and finally reached the point of no return last week.

Reply to
soloman

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Don't you floss your teeth?