Sewage Backing Up Into Shower, But Basement Drains Are Clear

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:50:37 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I too have a low flow toilet, with a prior bloackage issue.
What I have found useful is to keep a 5 galllon pail in that bathroom (wife hates the decor aspect). When I turn the shower on, awaiting Hot water, I collect the cold water in that pail. After my shower, I just dump that pail of water into the toilet. I believe that regular/ Rapid flush has prevented any recurring blockages? Further it is far more water, than the reg low gal flush.
replying to Dave C , Soloman wrote: I don't know. This home hasn't had any blockage remotely like this one in 42 years. I personally place some blame on the Charmin. Why did Charmin clog both of my toilets at just about every flush regardless of how much Charmin I use? Yet every single other brand of toilet paper that I have used, some that feel just about the same as Charmin, never clog the toilets?
There's something going on with Charmin. I read somewhere about how it doesn't dissolve in water, and other negativity.
There seem be a lot of people that love Charmin, and then the exact opposite with a lot of angry people who claim that Charmin causes plumbing issues.
Consumer Reports had an evaluation of various toilet paper dissolving characteristics in the past month or so, if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to see how CHarmin made out in their studies.
replying to hrhofmann , soloman wrote: I don't know what it is about charmin, but in my experience, it has been clog city!
As soon as I stopped using charmin, the clogging stopped immediately.
I just wonder if it built up further down the line...........

Quilted Northern and Charmin were the worst at disintegration according to their test. Scott and Angel Soft were the best. Scott Extra Soft is the higher rated one. They had a single Best Buy. It is White Cloud Ultra Soft and Thick. The reader reviews aren't very positive. The White Cloud isn't available at Walmart as it was supposed to be. Apparently it's also suffered a downgradein quality recently. Consumer Reports is good to read. They bring up issues I wouldn't think of if not for reading it.

replying to Dean Hoffman , soloman wrote: I personally like Costco's Kirkland branded "blue bag" stuff. Costco also has a pink/purble bag that is softer I think, but I don't buy that one.
In my opinion, Scotts is CRAP, no pun intended. So thin! Costco also sells Scotts but they are the individual wrapped rolls. Must be for a business that hates its customers.
And Costco also sells the horrible CHARMIN. Never again!
replying to SoloMan, soloman wrote: Now that I am thinking about it, for the past few months, occasionally there would be a smell in the downstairs level of my home. I tended to think that it came from the bathroom and/or shower drain. The same drain that backed up last week.
There is a P trap in there and I would run the water weekly just to make sure it was filled. But perhaps the plumbing was "slightly" backing up causing there to be a slight mixture of sewage water in the P trap of that shower? It definitely never came up through the drain before, but there was definitely a smell. I remember pouring some bleech down that drain a few months ago because of the smell. And I remember smelling a smell Wednesday night, the night before the sewage started backing up through the drain.
Perhaps this issue was coming for awhile now and finally reached the point of no return last week.