Sevin powder applicator ideas

Rochester, NY area has some new breed of wasps. Gentle readers may remember that I was looking for spray, last fall, for the wasps which burrow into the sides of my church building.

Several different type of wasp spray aparently had no effect. Including carb cleaner spray.

Sevin powder seemed to work last year. The question is how to puff the powder into the little wasp entrance hole. Without the repair guy getting to breathe the powder. So, how does one apply powdered bug dust?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A turkey baister

Reply to
ransley

Go to the baby product aisle of the supermarket or drug store and get one of those bulb things used for getting snot out of babies' noses. And you *will* go to whatever home/hardware store and get a serious filter mask, unless you're stupid.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Dedicated turkey baster.

mike

I have to ask the obvious question: if you're having such a hard time applying the Sevin in dust form, why aren't you using the liquid form of Sevin in its place? It's safer for the applicator - inhaling pesticide dust is no joke.

If you *must* use the dust form of Sevin, then for pity's sake break down and buy a proper duster. Here's an online source for several models. A good local farm/garden supply store should also be able to help you.

Hell Toupee

Like this. You might need to enlarge the hole.

Doug Miller

You know, that did occur to me. Thanks. Will let you know how it works.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh, that's a thought. Two votes for squeeze bulb device. I'm not sure how much powder will be released. A dust mask is an interesting idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, clearly marked for the use. So that the squeeze bulb doesn't get used for turkeys.

Thanks for the links. But, they aren't very accurate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the link for dusters. The new breed of wasps burrows up into the edge of the building, under the lower edge of the siding, near the roof line. Hard to describe. I'm not sure if liquids would do any good. Maybe?

I havn't yet tried to apply the powder. I don't know, yet, if it's hard to apply. Or not. Simply havn't tried, yet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They sell sevin also in a lawn spray version that attaches to a garden hose , like the lawn fertiliser bottles. I used it on japaese Bettles on a Willow tree and it kept the bettles off for months, I think I also did one in ground nest wth it and it worked. Ive done to many nests to count with the powder, maybe 20, but the liqued bottle on a hose is worth a try or mixing the powder on a garden sprayer, I believe it leaves a film that is active for a long time.

Reply to
ransley

Right back at ya.

Reply to
mike

Totally brilliant! And, it would explain why I'm in a store, buying... uh, well.... you know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The entrance to the wasp nest is about 3/8 inch hole, and the nest is uphill from there. Not likely to work in this application.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My link has about 11 million people who have prayed to know if it's true, and God has said yes. Your link is a bunch of people living the family traditions.

Until the Spirit says otherwise, I'm going to keep sharing what I know to be true. You keep sharing what your family tradition is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

HPC makes a nice little rubber graphite gun to puff powder.

In the alternative perhaps blending the powder with some cream cheese and use a pastry bag to squeeze the stuff into the cracks

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

(vanished upstream message restored for clarity- Stormin, if you MUST top-post, get rid of your sig delimiter.)

.

They sell sevin also in a lawn spray version that attaches to a garden hose , like the lawn fertiliser bottles. I used it on japaese Bettles on a Willow tree and it kept the bettles off for months, I think I also did one in ground nest wth it and it worked. Ive done to many nests to count with the powder, maybe 20, but the liqued bottle on a hose is worth a try or mixing the powder on a garden sprayer, I believe it leaves a film that is active for a long time.

------------ (now my reply)

The Sevin my local Farm Bureau sells comes in a plastic squeezable bottle, with a skinny tube you snap into the opening. You shake it up to unclump it, stick the tube in the hole, and squeeze hard. Shoots out a nice big puff of powder. Usual caveats about long-sleeve shirts tucked and taped as needed, and goggles and a mask, apply. Best to hit the hole after dark, to catch as many as possible at home.

Reply to
aemeijers

An interesting idea? Are you out of your mind? It's mandatory, you twit.

Also: On this planet, smart people do not top-post. "Like a book" is the correct way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Try it first with something safe, like some baby powder, you twit.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Gut feelings (even after praying) aren't a substitute for truth.

I've heard Mormons say that if the Catholic Church didn't apostasize from the true faith, they'd have no reason not to be Catholic.

So here's my challenge. Pick a date for this great apostasty. Write it down. Next, read the Church Fathers before that date and decide for yourself if they sound like Mormons or Catholics.

Deal?

Reply to
mike