Seven smoke detectors all taken down, a violation?

A kitchen and dining outhouse not occupied by anyone was fitted with seven smoke detectors. They were all taken down, put inside a pillow case and stash away in the closet. The fireplace that uses logs to keep people warm keeps spewing smoke into the room. The maximum ceiling height is about 17- feet at the angled tip. Other areas is about 8-feet flat ceiling. Occasionally, they have a drifter sleeping in this room. Is it a violation to take all the smoke detectors down in this outhouse?
Thanks
Leroy Mowry wrote:

That would be a local issue. Check with your county and or fire department.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Leroy Mowry wrote:

Man! that is some outhouse! I have never seen an outhouse with a kitchen. How many holes has it got?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

It has a dining area too - probably serves "shit on a shingle".
Leroy Mowry wrote:

Sounds perfectly fine to me. It's the angled tip which saved you.
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:46:07 -0500 "John Harlow" used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

What? Nowhere in NFPA72 has an exemption specifically for vaulted ceilings.
In fact, if smoke detection is called for by the local AHJ in a common area with vaulted ceilings they MUST be installed at the highest point.
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
If the drifter dies in a fire and his relatives sue it could be real bad for the owner. Who knows talk to the city.

Like swimming in a pool with the light on. I do not do it, my life is worth more than 10 bucks. Nor would I go to sleep in your home with out detectors. I have had the experience of waking up to an fire in my home. The detectors provided me enough time to get out. Instead of removing the detectors why not fix the fireplace?
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:32:54 GMT, someone wrote:

Its a violation for the drifter to sleep there. Run him off. Problem solved.
Even though 70% of fires start in a kitchen, smoke detector ordinances usually specify that they are for the protection of sleeping areas. So kick the drifter out.

Darwin at his best....

Why not just make a phone call to the local code enforcement authorities and ask them?

Probably, but who cares? The important thing is that taking down the smoke detectors is stupid and dangerous no matter what the code says. If the church is letting people sleep there, are they also going to provide burial services if they die there of smoke inhalation?
Fix the chimney with a better cap and put the smoke detectors back up.

I hereby nominate this as the best answer yet.
John Harlow wrote:

And drop a woodstove in, replacing the fireplace.
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:03:23 -0500 "John Harlow" used 11 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

I second the nomination.
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
used 26 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Are the smoke detectors part of a fire alarm system?
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:26:21 GMT, someone wrote:

Yup. Paying more for insurance doesn't constitute a code exemption. And it amazes me how non-profits often act like that status also provides some kind of exemption - sort of, "since we're well intentioned, we shouldn't have to follow the laws...."
-v.