Seven most outrageous HOA rules

Page 3 of 5

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:11:19 -0700 (PDT), BobR

I my city and through the buyer's agent, the seller has to provide the CC&R's to the buyer at seller's expense.
The buyer has 30 days to read, review, consume all the noise. The buyer has to sign a form indicating they have read and accept the rules.
We use a title office, instead of attorneys. The tile company checks that the CC&R's are acknowledged buy the buyer.
You cannot close otherwise...
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:39:01 -0700, "Steve B"

Should we change should to shall? Or should we say they "ought" to do it?
Here is a sample when "should", should be changed to shall!
Last two sentences:
"During the hoisting or lowering of the flag or when it passes in parade or review, Americans should stand at attention facing the flag and place their right hand over the heart. Uniformed military members render the military salute. Men not in uniform should remove any headdress and hold it with their right hand at their left shoulder, the hand resting over the heart. Those who are not U.S. citizens should stand at attention."
"When the flag is worn out or otherwise no longer a fitting emblem for display, it should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

They shouldn't have closed. I told my realtor to get me a copy of them before closing. She tried to minimize the issue but I held firm. turns out there was nothing in there I didn't like (other than the builder "owns" the HOA until the last property is sold and a few really silly things).
wrote

In many/most places you have the option of cancelling the sale within a certain time period of receiving the documents.
For those of you with a "pixie spirit" and time on your hands, you might want to make offers on property, "review" the HOA crap and then cancel the sale.
Only do this when you are making the purchase through a licensed broker: an individual seller might want to sit on your depostion. A "professional" will give your deposit back quickly and if he doesn't the state has a fund to back him up.

That sounds painful. ;-)
Steve
Ralph Mowery wrote:

The issue is NOT flying the American flag, it is erecting his own flagpole. Years ago, it was a constant issue in Florida until they got around to changing the statutes so that condo owners may display one flag (US, state or military service, IIRC)....heck, Florida even got around to passing a statute that says a condo board member can't serve if they are delinquent in their maint. assessments.
My hat is off to people who serve in the military, but they aren't more special than anyone else. If the old geezer wants his own rules, he should start his own country. It bugs the heck out of me when people think their fairly-unique circumstances give them a pass on obeying laws (condo and HOA rules have the standing of law).
-snip-

-snip-
Exactly-- and I'm one of them. I don't even care if you're Chesty friggin' Puller-- as a citizen, you follow the rules, especially when you put yourself under them voluntarily.

He doesn't need to start a country-- he just has to move out of the HOA. My neighbor and I do pretty much what we want-- and if one of us infringes on the other beyond what we can stand [1 each in 25 years] we discuss it & work around it.
I don't understand why anyone would want to live in a development, let alone an HOA controlled environment-- but 'different strokes' & all that. But once you make that choice, you've made it. Live with the rules or move.
Jim

However, that is not the current state of politics, rights, or mindsets. The rules must be changed to adjust to every individual, or it is discrimination. Don't you read the papers? ;-)
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Careful how you type about Chesty :o) One of my children is a graduate of Parris Island. :o)

Semper Fi to him/her. I graduated in Dec '68. Was pleased to hear recently that they still say the same thing at lights out [according to a 'class of 2000 or so' grad]; "God bless mom & dad; God bless the USA; God bless the USMC; & God bless Chesty Puller, wherever he is."
I met 'Chesty' Puller Jr. at a reunion of my VN Bn in 1987 or so. So I'm only 1 degree of separation away from 'the man'. <g>
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Everyone should see a recruit graduation ceremony at Parris Island in August :o) It is an interesting spectacle. Good march music as well!
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:53:12 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

I was drafted. Army Infantry / Artillery. For a spectacle, one needs to see the recruits first hair cut.
Hippies were asked: "Short or medium cut?"
"Medium"
"Sure!"
Buzz. Oops, missing one pony tail.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Guadacanal belonged to the Japanese. Chesty Puller* didn't like the way the Japanese were running the place, so he did something about it.
Oh, he could have gone elsewhere or stayed where he was, but he saw an injustice, an insult, an affront to decency, and he did something about it.
Same as this old geezer.
With a slight modification, the rallying cry "Kill Japs. Kill Japs. Kill more Japs" could be resurrected for contemporary problems.
Harken to the refrain: "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men not to shoot the evil-doers." Nothing would please me more than for the medicine man to be waving chicken claws of some of these folks' ashes.
As an aside, I think property values would INCREASE in a neighborhood where the residents tried to outdo each other in their display of ostentatious patriotism.
--
* Chesty Puller's citation for his THIRD Navy Cross
"For extraordinary heroism as Commanding Officer of the First Battalion,

AND their increase of shooting evil-doers.
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I'll bet Chesty was really rooting for Hawaii in the Little League World Series game against Japan last Sunday.
I know I was!
Alas, the kids from Hawaii were unable to prevail.

Well, one problem is that the "government" changed the rules and essentially gave the HOAs a green light for just about any foolishment they can think of.
Pre-1990 or so, they were just a convenience to provide a structure to maintain the roads which (because of 2nd rate construction) could not be turned over to the government.
The courts used to protect that individual owners from HOA excesses but now if the letter of the agreement is adhered to, they can do just about anything. For example, where we own, the HOA decided to take away 2 of our 4 parking spaces even when all 4 were on out lot.
We spent a few $1k in legal bills but the bottom line is that today, they are a law unto themselves.
In the late 80s, a circuit court judge affirmed my right to keep folks from parking on our property without our permission but that has changed
Now that same HOA wants the right to approve tenants! They demand $20 to "screen" prospects.
As the Jews say, "Never Again."
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Seven-most-outrageous-HOA-rules-473501-.htm DA wrote: HeyBub wrote:

I guess it wouldn't sound as catchy if you mention that they were opposed to the pole, not the flag. There are other tasteful ways of flying the flag. Do you absolutely need a 21' pole?
From the original Washington Post article: "But the homeowners association said it never had a problem with the flag -- residents may fly flags that are mounted to the sides of their homes, and many do. The problem was with the pole. .. Barfoot's fight was not the first time a homeowner has clashed with an association over flags. In 2005, Congress passed a bill sponsored by Rep. Roscoe G. Bartlett (R-Md.) guaranteeing the right to fly a flag in communities governed by homeowners associations, as long as residents do so in accordance with association rules".
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/09/AR2009120904393.html
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:40:50 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

The size of the flag pole might be determined by the size of the flag.
At some point ones needs a light on the pole, lighting the flag at night.
There is a protocol when displaying or retiring the flag for the day.
Sample: Stars are pointed a certain direction - different if displayed north or south, east or west -- stationary on you home.
On 8/30/2010 6:11 PM, Oren wrote:

protocol, not law.
--
Steve Barker
Oren wrote:

While we're on the subject, is it proper to wash the American flag? Our fire trucks carry large flags and some get quite dirty. Hubby and I donated a couple of new ones for a 9/11 anniversary, but they are rather expensive. I'd offer to take the flags home and wash them if it was okay. Hate to see it displayed the wrong way.