Seven most outrageous HOA rules

Page 1 of 5

No-flag rule:
"After receiving support from members of Congress, and even the Obama administration, Medal of Honor recipient Van T. Barfoot, who once singlehandedly took on three Nazi tanks, triumphed in his quest to fly Old Glory."
But here's a list of seven homeowners who did not prevail over the fungating pustules that are HOAs.
http://theweek.com/article/index/104150/top-7-insane-homeowners-association-rules

http://theweek.com/article/index/104150/top-7-insane-homeowners-association-rules
I do not feel sorry for anyone in the HOAs. They should know what they are getting into when they move in. While I fly an American Flag at my house, the old man should not have one up or should move out if he wants to fly one.
Maybe congress should pass a law that lets one fly the flag, over rulling the HOA. I think they did something like that for the small satellite dishes.
I would never buy a house with a HOA or in a place that has very many restrictions. That has been one of my first questions when I buy a house. Was about 30 years ago for the first house and again about 5 years ago for the house I now live in.

I don't believe you CAN know just what you're getting into when moving into a HOA neighborhood. The HOA committees can be unpredictable and capricious,and also political. Get one board member ticked off at you,and you'll be getting notices for all sorts of "violations" that others aren't getting.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

One HOA president decided he would bang on my garage door. He lives across the street.
I change plans, grabbed my gun, not knowing who it was. Told the man he nearly got shot or possibly could have been.
I taught him about "violations".
We live on a well armed street and hold or weapons in dear regard.
Jim Yanik wrote:

No way would I ever buy in an HOA neighborhood, even if I could afford a house as fancy as they usually are. (If I had that much cash, I'd rather have a small plain place on ten acres somewhere.) All the petty politics aside, I don't care for homogenized blah beige subdivisions. But mainly, if I gonna be paying assesments and such, I may as well rent. The power to file liens is the power to destroy.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

In my area in Florida, the choice likely will come down to either an HOA or a cluster of dirt (sand) roads, shacks, five vehicles and four pit bulls per residence....there isn't a lot of in-between in unincorporated areas :o)

I've been to Florida. Once you can't smell the ocean any more, you may as well be in Louisiana. Unless a job required it (and it would have to be a great job), I wouldn't live in Florida, at least the inland part.
(And I own a house in Louisiana, so I do know what it is like.)
--
aem sends...

I was born in New Orleans. Love the town, HATE the heat. Wouldn't live south of the Mason-Dixon now if you paid me. Hell, after this summer, Canada is looking good! Only 3 hours north...
h wrote:

I've been there in summer- didn't care for it. Don't care for MI winters either. When retirement comes, I'm gonna either have to buy a place somewhere where there is a happy medium, or become a snowbird.
-- aem sends....

Heh. I don't think there is any one place with a decent climate. Probably need more than two for climate perfections. When my 'Rents retired to Chapel Hill, NC in the early 80s, they loved it. By the time my dad died in the late 90s, the heat was so bad that my mom was a prisoner inside the house for 9 months a year. So...of all bizarre things, she decided to move back UP HERE, to "cold/snowville" for 9 months a year. Except...yeah, it's not 60 degrees or anything, but it's nowhere near as cold or as snowy here as it "used to be", and she can walk outside for 8 months of the year. That's all she really wants, and at 86, she should get what she wants! Especially in her retirement "cottage" where they mow all the grass, plow all the macadam, and there is "staff" in the dining room! Plus, she has a garage, so she doesn't have to clear off the car when she wants to go out!
DH and I? We're planning on getting a giant RV and buying a "lot" or "space" on the coast in Belize. Decided that years ago. Very annoyed that, apparently, EVERYone has been told to retire there. Then, again, the places we liked were not exactly "luxe" accommodations. Drive the RV in, hook-up, walk 20 feet down the beach into the surf, and you're snorkeling on the reef in 10 seconds. Hurricane coming? Drive your RV away. Not "luxe", but simple, easy, and safe. My favorite town/village/settlement had a great cafe with NYC cheesecake flown in twice a week, too! I'm sure that the "yuppies" will have killed that place long before DH and I are ready, but we have many years yet, and things change.
He's only 42 and doesn't plan to retire until 70, so I'll be well into my 80s by then...so glad I'm self-employed :)

I'd choose the pit bulls in the shacks over the pit bulls in charge of an HOA

Some friends of mine bought a condo, and were not given a copy of the CC&R's until AFTER closing, even though they requested one before.
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I think that's called buying a pig in a poke. If I just *had* to have that property-- but they wouldn't let me see it before I bought it, I wouldn't close. [and *it* can be the property or the bylaws- no difference] No sympathy from this quarter- no matter how draconian their HOA is.
Jim
wrote

Thank you, Jim, for all your tender mercies and sympathy. I wasn't asking for them, but only relating a story that had to do with the thread.
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:26:19 -0700, "Steve B"

The proper protocol in a case like this is to refuse to close.

wrote Re Re: Seven most outrageous HOA

Why would you even place an offer without thoroughly reviewing the rules?
wrote Re Re: Seven most outrageous HOA

Well, apparently not to some people.
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

re: "The proper protocol in a case like this is to refuse to close."
That's easy to say from afar, but we don't really know what the circumstances were, do we?
There could have been issues related to family, jobs, schools, housing, medical, loans, finances, etc.
Maybe they *had* to close by a certain date and couldn't wait any longer without suffering consequences that were unbearable - to *them*. We're all different.
I'm all for following "protocol" but there can often be extenuating circumstances that force protocol to the side.
wrote Re Re: Seven most outrageous HOA

The only, and allow me to repeat that ONLY, proper protocol is to not make an offer to purchase without reviewing the HOA restrictions.
Colbyt

And as I've said twice before in this thread:
Protocol can sometimes be pushed aside due to extenuating circumstances.
Yes, that may be the *proper* protocol to follow, but there are often times, in many facets of our life, when proper protocol just cannot be followed.
P.S. Your statement could be modified to read: "This offer to purchase is contingent on review and acceptance of the HOA restrictions."