settle tile install bet

My friend and I have a friendly bet about how to install tile in a bathroom and shower.

I say tile walls first, then the floor friend says tile floor first then the walls

anyone out their with their opinion on this subject.

Reply to
stainer

Why the walls first?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I wouldn't even consider jeopardizing a new floor installation by coming in to do wall tile after. Scratches, stains, cracked tile, and the delays of setting and grouting the floor would just not make any sense.

Reply to
DanG

I've seen both approaches.

If do the walls first, need to have the subfloor preparation complete first so the final _exact_ height is fixed and any necessary leveling, etc., is out of the way. Otherwise, risk a fit problem at the base of the wall in a spot or two--very little worse to compensate for than having floor base tile hanging on the wall and not enough room to get the floor tile under it correctly, or there being an uneven gap going around the room. Best bet is to have the floor tile there so can use a few pieces as gauge markers as starter course(s) are laid if do go that route.

If there's only a single room, the time delay can be a problem if lay the floor first, but I've never had a problem from a damage pov in working over a new floor--just a modicum of care is all that is needed. If there's more tile work like a new house, usually can simply move from one area to the next and then come back w/o any loss of time. For a homeowner, the time usually isn't wages-money so the same economics don't really apply.

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...

Reply to
dpb