Setting up wireless home network

Or just screw a little 4 port switch to the wall in the nearest wired room and connect the cat5 coming from your main house switch (or router) to the little local 4 port. Then run a cat5 from one of those

4 ports to the nearest weak room. And you will have 3 extra ports available locally to hook up a peer-to-peer networked printer, NAS or whatever else to boot!

My house is all hardwired but I only have one cat5 jack in each room, if need more than one wired port in a room I just get a 4 port switch and screw it to the wall next to the one jack. All the rooms are fed from a 16 port gigabit switch in the basement. That switch gets its IP addresses from my wireless router (connected to Comcast). I only use the wireless for laptops, everything else is on the wired LAN.

Bottom line is you dont need to home run another dedicated wire from the main router, just from the nearest wire available by splitting it with a local 4 port switch.

A 4 port switch costs about $20 more than a 4 port hub but will perform better and I think its worth it.

Reply to
RickH

..

Oops, sorry I didn't realize you only had one wired device right next to the router and no other wired ports in the house. In that case I'd pull a wires to all the desktops then use the wireless LAN for things that truly need to be portable like laptops.

Reply to
RickH

Reply to
Rudy

If it is a desk top, you can install gain antenna. In my house router is in the main floor and wireless convers basement and upstairs and sun room in the back of the house. Also some routers have an adjustable transmitter output or you can try different channel as well. There is high power routers too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In modern geek-speak, 'hack' means to adapt or edit lines of code.

FYI and HTH.

Reply to
Aardvark

Perhaps one day he'll learn the difference between "cracker" and "hacker".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thanks Now he says HTH=??

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Or just use a USB wireless adapter on a usb extention cord and put the adapter where you get the strongest signal in the upstairs room. I have seen the signal go from "very week" to "very strong" in less than

10 feet. (get out of the shadow of a steel beam, chimney, or whatever)
Reply to
clare

"Hacker":

"Cracker":

Mmmm. Hungry now...

Reply to
Kyle

"Hope that helps"

Reply to
Kyle

We have three computers. The cable modem is connected to a wireless

802.11 g router which is connected to the computer. We have two other computers that have USB wireless adaptors.... one (across the hall) is a "g" and is pretty fast. The one at the opposite end of the house is an old "b" and also a USB wireless adaptor. I sometimes have to play with it to get it to pick up the signal but usually re- seating the USB connection or setting it up on top of the tower will solve the problem. When my brother in law came to visit with his laptop, he "looked" around for a signal and found two...my Belkin "unsecured" network and my next door neighbor's "unsecured" LinkSys network. I think you are going to a lot of trouble - installing new cables for yours. I believe it will pick up the signal just fine if you play with the adaptor a little.
Reply to
Dorothy

Thanks

Reply to