Setting up wireless home network

Page 2 of 2

My set up is very similar, going catercorner through house from 2nd to first floor. The wireless router works OK but I have a 2nd machine belonging to a consulting client that required hard wiring as they do not trust security of wireless network. Since it was on the clients dime, I hired our provider, Comcast, to string the ethernet cable figuring it would be a convoluted affair and take a few hours at $30/hour. It was but to my surprise it only took 1 hour and the $30 charge included price of wiring.

You didn't indicate whether the WiFi card for the PC is in a slot on the motherboard, or external. Internal cards don't have quite the range external antennae do - so one solution might be to get a USB wireless antenna that could be mounted up above the PC on the wall or some such.
Another possibility is to get a commercial-grade antenna for the router/access point, which could boost the signal.
Finally, if you are adventurous enough or have the geek skills, you could replace the firmware of your router with Tomato (http:// www.polarcloud.com/tomato) or one of the other third-party, open- source firmwares (http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack - turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php) that allow you to boost the signal of your wireless. Mind you, it's not possible for all wireless routers, but it's well worth a shot. We did this with the router at my church, and were able to get signal through three thick granite walls without danger of burning out the antenna or unit.
Kyle wrote:

Words like "hack" in a URL make me nervous.
Lou
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 12:04:27 -0400, LouB wrote:

In modern geek-speak, 'hack' means to adapt or edit lines of code.
FYI and HTH.
Aardvark wrote:

Perhaps one day he'll learn the difference between "cracker" and "hacker".
TDD
When Aardvark wrote:

The Daring Dufas opined:

"Hacker": http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/survival-emergency/survival-equipment-4/product-474636.html "Cracker": (Amazon.com product link shortened)39120599&sr=1-27
Mmmm. Hungry now...
Aardvark wrote:

Now he says HTH=??
Lou

"Hope that helps"
Kyle wrote:

Thanks

Is the card the same brand as the router? Is the router on the same channel as the houses next door, and across the street?
Try re-seating the card and changing the router to a non default channel number. Sees if that helps.

Cat5 is always the better option, if it works best for you.
ls02 wrote:

If it is a desk top, you can install gain antenna. In my house router is in the main floor and wireless convers basement and upstairs and sun room in the back of the house. Also some routers have an adjustable transmitter output or you can try different channel as well. There is high power routers too.

Or just use a USB wireless adapter on a usb extention cord and put the adapter where you get the strongest signal in the upstairs room. I have seen the signal go from "very week" to "very strong" in less than 10 feet. (get out of the shadow of a steel beam, chimney, or whatever)