Setting up a 220v service in the garage.

They make them, although the 20A duplex 240V devices are expensive and not very common. But you can probably get a 15A 240V duplex outlet (has

2 horizontal slots plus a ground) at Home Depot or Ace Hardware for less than $10.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thank you for your well informed opinion. Just today I blew circuit breakers in the garage and kitchen due to running some stuff like a heater and a compressor. I think that I will splurge and install a real subpanel in the garage, and then a few outlets, 110 and

220v. This subpanel should also be protected by circuit breaker at the main panel, is that right? i
Reply to
Ignoramus14233

Yep, like you and Tom are suggesting, I will install a subpanel.

Ignoramus14233

Yes but the sub panel will not need a main breaker because the breaker that protects the feeder circuit that supplies it fulfills that function.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

Yes and no. No in that the breaker at the main panel protects the cable(s) running to the sub panel, not the panel, or its circuits, but just that cable run feeding it.

Yes, in that it will have the effect of a shut off for the sub panel, but that isn't its intent.

You don't need a breaker that shuts off the whole sub-panel, in addition, you can have only the breakers you need for circuits.

Reply to
John Hines