Setting toilet tank - wobbly

It's been 25 years since I set a new toilet and while the new American Standard Champion flushes like, er, a champ, the tank seems to wobble too much for my comfort. Is this just like the bowl and wax ring; a matter of letting it settle in and retighening gently a few times? The bowl was initially like that but has settled.

Toilet evalution:

*Odd flush mechanism but, *Flushes very quickly and efficiently. Puts me in mind of the jet-like action of public toilets. *The weirdest flush noise this side of a pressurized tank *Quiet tank re-filling. *Tank top is not flat which is either a blessing, so that you can't clutter it or a curse, for the same reason. *The tank top does not sit squarely on the tank and wobbles a bit. Nothing a piece of carpet tape on the underside corner can't fix. *The tank is so much smaller than the 5 gal tank that it replaces that there is a 3" gap to the wall.

So, you can see that these are non-issues and the unit works better than the one that it replace. Just my observations. Now, about that wobbly tank...

Reply to
C & E

Bowl or tank ??

If the bowl is wobbly on the floor, you may need to place some shims under the bowl if the floor is uneven.

If the bowl outlet horn extends down too far (dsign of the bowl), it may be hitting the flange inlet.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Coins work well for this purpose. You have a choice of different thicknesses readily available at a very modest cost.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's definitely the tank to bowl interface. *Not* the bowl to floor. It's a bit scary. I'm afraid that if was to stumble against it t would snap the porcelin at the bolts.

Reply to
C & E

And there is the tradition that putting coins in a fountain will make Fortune smile upon you...

To the OP- I wonder if you bolted it together correctly, washers where they belong; something doesn't sound right. It may be possible to fill the gap to wall unobtrusively( ie, well below top of tank) with a piece of rigid foam secured with silicone caulk to both.

Reply to
Sev

It sure looks pretty staight forward to me. It's just that the gasket between the two pieces is very thick. I did speak to one local gent who said that his did this same thing and doesn't recall it being an issue some years ago when he did his last one. I'm thinking that I'll be patient and snug it down a bit more if it settles. Either way, I'm going to put a a piece of wood behind the tank to take up the slack. I appreciate the info, folks. Thanks.

Reply to
C & E

Am Std uses a very thick gasket which is difficult to compress. You can do it by having one person push down hard on the tank and the other tighten the bolts. With caution...

The wood block is a good idea, but I recommend not putting it behind the tank itself as pressure from someone leaning back against the seat lid will break the tank. Put the block behind the tank cover. It can even be glued on to avoid making fastener holes in the wall.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Some people might like the coin trick to shim a toilet to the floor, personally I like to use sanded grout (same stuff I use on the floor)

It might be a pain in the ass to get rid of if I have to remove the bowl, but I will never (and never had) a toilet rock on my either.

Use a little over that to make a bead around the toilet to the floor and let it dry overnight. Then enjoy!

Tom

C & E wrote:

Reply to
BocesLib