setback thermostats

Page 2 of 2
Set backs are ok in thewinter but hard to estimate the temps in the summer.In the winter you can figure its going to be 30 degs for a high who knows in the summer what the weather will do.
Tom

What difference does the outside temperature make?

In the winter the temp is more constant, in the summer one day it may be 72 degs, the next 92, so you would be programing the stat every other day unless you want to maintain a constant 75 degress in the summer.If the high for the day is 98, and the stat is set at 75 the A/C will most likely run and never shut off not to mention never maintain 75.
I keep the stat usually 7-10 degress cooler than it is outside in the summer, unless the high for the day is somewhere in the mid 70's I turn off the A/C.
Tom

I program it once and leave it that way regardless of the outside temperature, occasionally overriding it temporarily.

Reed wrote:

The batteries are to hold the settings in the case of a power failure, else you would have to set them every time the power came back on.

Actually the Hunter uses battery power for the clock and relays. They do this to avoid the need for a C or common wire back to the transformer as mechanical thermostats don't need one and many homes don't have an extra wire to use.
Steve B.

This is Turtle.
On the batterys. Everyready and other last about 12 to 14 months. The New Duracell's i have seen will go as much as 2 years under normal use. I know this sounds like a Duracell salesmanship ad but this is what I've seen.
As you said No Mechanical thermostat will work as good as a digital type for they all have a program in them that will estimate the run time [ it thinks and runs longer at times to keep a even temp. in your home ] and will adjust the run times to keep the house at the right temperature. The Round Honeywell does not think and just does what you tell it.
TURTLE