Set Screw In Beckett Pump? Does this Make Sense?

Hi,

My burner service guy removed the pump on my Beckett head and screwed in a small set screw. He said that this would make the pump return the fuel back to the tank and that without this set screw the pump wouldn't return the fuel. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
homeguy

The pump can optionally be set up to use a 1-pipe system or a 2-pipe.

In a 1-pipe system, the pump returns excess oil to the tank via the *same* pipe it is drawing suction on (actually inside the pump). This works fairly well when the tank is at the same elevation as the pump.

A 2-pipe system is used on longer runs and where the tank is buried at a lower elevation. This allows the pump to develop better suction and to get rid of air bubbles faster. A 2-pipe setup will have some advantage even where the tank is at the same elevation.

The setscrew is really a plug which blocks a bypass port on the pump. With the plug in place, the pump will return oil via the return line to the tank. The system needs to be "2-pipe" for this to work.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim,

I had a 14 year old wayne head and it was replaced about 2 months ago with an AF Beckett head and aquastat. I was having lockouts with the Wayne head and other parts were starting to fail so I went for a new Beckett. After the new head was installed all was fine for about a month and then I started to get lockouts again. The guy came back and installed the bypass plug ( iI have a two line system). It ran fine for about a month and right after a fill up of oil I got a few lockouts again. My service guy came back and tried to install a priority relay but he couldn't get it to work. He now wants to install a tiger loop.

I have an underground tank that is about 3 feet above my burners. It's a short run from the tank to the house where the oil line is split. One oil line goes to my boiler and a Reillo head while the other line goes to a Beckett head and my Bock oil fired water heater. The Reillo has never locked out. I ran two head like this for years without any lockouts. On the line that goes to the Beckett I have an oil filter on the line and a check valve. I have a filter on the other line too. I was thinking of having the oil filter removed and running the line from the tee to the Beckett head to eliminate as many possible air leaks as possible. I'm thinking there may be a slight leak in the oil filter or one of the connections that is pulling oil from the pump when it's off causing the lockouts. The tech wants a lot of money for the Tiger loop and seems to be stumped. What do you think??? Oh yeah both retunr lies are teed and back into the tank too. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
homeguy

It sure does sound suspicious. I agree that chasing any possible air leaks would be a priority. You may have to put a gauge on the pump to see whether the pressure builds immediately as the pump starts.

These intermittents are tedious to track down and most techs don't have the time to spend. You're better off being your own detective sometimes.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The tech had me waiting all day and yesterday for him with no call. When I called he said he was too busy. I guess he's giving up. I guess I'm going to pull out my flaring tool and change the pipe myself and run the line directly from the tee to the burner. I have the strainer changed each year anyway. Do you think I should bother with a Tiger Loop? That would mean turning my two line system into a one line system.

Thanks again.

Reply to
homeguy

I would stay with the two line hookup.