Service man said it was ready to go.

Serviceman here on 10/21/2015 took out the igniter, had to order another one. Came back on 10/23/2015 put in new igniter. still nothing. said I needed new brain board. so put one in and said it was good to go. he did not turn on the unit before he left to see if it was working properly. On 10/25/2015 at approximately 4:30 a.m. central time I turned on the furnace to rid house of the chilly air and it ran and ran but no heat. he did not check the thermostat that may be an issue I don't know I am no electrician. HELP
On 10/25/2015 12:44 PM, Daria wrote:

Tell him to get his butt back there and fix it.
Hope you did not pay.
The guy is an idiot for not testing it but you should also have insisted that he demonstrates it to you as working.
Hope you did not pay the bill yet.
On 10/25/2015 10:44 AM, Daria wrote:

Sounds like someone who swaps parts wildly in the hope he'll find the one that's bad.
The most common failures are the igniter, the thermocouple and the gas valve. Unlikely to be the thermostat or the control board.
The thing is, you can test all of these. You can try lighting the furnace manually to see if the igniter is bad. You can try opening the gas valve by applying 24VAC to the terminals to see if it's working (with the gas off) and if it does open then the thermocouple is suspect. You can see if the controller board is opening the gas valve or detecting some other fault.
On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 12:44:01 -0500, Daria

This is a silly question and not meant to be insulting. People just do silly things sometimes. Is it set on fan rather than heat? It seems odd that the fan is working before the heat comes on. Part of my job is trouble shooting. Testing the repair is as much a part of the job as replacing things. There are times when we can't test things and it always bugs me. I leave with a nagging feeling that I will have to come back at a most inconvenient time.

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 2:14:19 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Agree. She says it just runs and runs. I've never seen a furnace that fails to ignite have the fan come on at all.

I wonder how she knows that he didn't test it? He told her? Or she stood there watching? I can't imagine a repair guy not testing it a couple times to make sure it will fire up and run.
trader_4 wrote:

fan will run until furnace cools down. (this is lock out period) Unless it is very old furnace, it ought to have diagnostic LED on the board.

Example dot com. More home moaners invading usenet, cluelessly?
On 10/25/2015 1:44 PM, Daria wrote:

Easy to help. Get the guy back and have him fix it. Do NOT pay another penny either. He should have fired it up before he left. Once he gets it going, post his phone number some place so you can be sure NEVER to call him again.

That's for sure. It looks like you have some real idiots working on your furnace. If you have not paid them, call another REPUTIBLE company. Report these idiots to the Better Business Bureau too. Anyone with even half a brain, will test a furnace of anything they are repairing.
However, if the fan is running and it's not heating, make sure the thermostat is not on the COOLING mode, or FAN ON CONTINUOUS mode. There could be a bad switch on that thermostat too. You could just remove the thermostat and (assuming there are only 2 wires), just clip or twist the wires together and see if the furnace works. If it does, your thermostat is defective. If it still dont work, it's not likely the thermostat.
On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 17:44:01 +0000, Daria

Call the president of the company and tell hir you want it fixed and you want the bill for the part you didn't need cancelled or refunded.
Be firm but not angry. Read him your post. And get back to us to say what happened.
Why does someone think you're a senior?