Service life of a high-efficiency refrigerator?

Page 2 of 2

Did you know that you don't know what you're talking about? I bought a Kitchenaid fridge a few months ago. It has a 5 year warranty for parts and labor on the sealed refrigeration system. And the refrigeration system is covered for years 6 through 10 for parts. And I'm willing to bet that I can find plenty of other brands with similar warranties.

Speaking of other brands, from Jennair website:
Jenn-Air 22 cu. ft. Counter Depth Side-By-Side Refrigerator JCD2295KEP "Warranty & Service Plan For one (1) year from the original retail purchase date, any part which fails in normal home use will be repaired or replaced free of charge. For second through fifth year parts and labor for the sealed refrigeration system.
So, where did you buy that Jennair fridge, with no warranty? From some hack on Craigslist instead of an authorized dealer?

mike wrote:

I saw a little dorm room refrigerator at Wal-Mart the other day that has no compressor. It's the first solid state refrigerator I've seen on the mass market that runs off regular line current. It uses a Peltier cooling device. The only moving part is the fan. It will be quite interesting to see if the technology is ever scaled up to the size of your typical kitchen refrigerator.
[8~{} Uncle Monster

It can be scaled up easily but look at the consumption of the unit, I bet it as much as a large side by side
ransley wrote:

If you Google solid state refrigerators you will find that there is a lot of research going on with new materials other than the well known Peltier devices. The fields of refrigeration and air conditioning should get very interesting within the next few years.
[8~{} Uncle Monster