Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:57:09 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

+1 (at least)

*I don't think that the older SE cable had the UV inhibitors that the new stuff does. I have seen many older SE cables that looks like yours.
I do not know of any remedy for this except to replace the cable.
John G posted for all of us...

+1 OP > Listen to John G
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 3/21/2015 11:04 AM, TomR wrote:

I had a faulty neutral originating outside my house and the local power company found it in my buried service entrance cable, under my front lawn. They dug down to it and repaired it at no cost to me. Different locations and power companies have different laws controlling how much of the distribution system is the responsibility of the power company and how much belongs to the property owner. In my area, everything up to and including the meter is the power company's responsibility. I'd advise you to call the power company and determine who is responsible for your service entrance cable. If you're lucky, repair/replacement may be their responsibility, not yours. Certainly it's worth a free call.
Gray/grey roofing cement or silicone rubber would keep the water out. Then , painting the entire cable with some sort of rubberized waterproofing pain t, when the weather gets better, should provide enough protection unless so mething hits the cable and knocks the paint off. A pice of cardboard place d behind the cable would keep whatever you coat it with from getting on the house siding itself.
I think most of us thought the insulation problem was at the "head" where t he wires go into a vertical pipe and/or make a sharp bend and the insulatio n usually deteriorates there first.
In typed:

Thanks. Interesting idea, and the idea/reminder about putting a piece of cardboard behind the cable while painting helped too.
If I get a chance, I'll take a wide shot of the whole cable and meter box and post that just to give a better idea of what the setup is that is there now.

I'd get a couple lengths of Cantex split conduit if it can be sourced locally at a decent price and be done with it. - or even some Tyton or equivalent split corrugated loom.
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 8:04:27 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

all of this leads to my questions. what the main breakers amp rating? or is it still a fuse box?
for that wire to detoriate this bad its likely time it all be replaced.
In wrote:

It is a modern main service panel with a 100-amp main breaker, all circuit breakers (no fuses or fuse box), and modern "Romex-style" wiring (I think it is called NM cable).
On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 10:03:18 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Hopefully it isnt a FPE main pael?