Service agreement

I just has a new heat pump and furnace installed and was asked if I wanted a service ageement. It included

-Furnace/heatpump checkup (cleaning blower motors,burners, clean condenser coil, etc)

-replace humidifier pad

-replace Aprilaire filter

-15% dicounts on repairs

-no overtime charge This would be done twice a year at a cost of $256. Is twice a year overkill? I know I can change the filters, but what about the rest?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
c1gmlm

Service agreements are usually a rip off.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

My old oil company offered a service policy for about that price. One big difference though. They did not give 15% off on repairs because most every part was covered for repairs under the service agreement. Take a look at what is covered in there plans and compare to your offer

Ed Pawlowski

I know a lot of guys who would charge roughly 2-3rds of that price on a regular scheduled service call, meaning in no great hurry on any regular weekday without travel time, so why pay $512.00 for it?? The Aprilaire filter replacement is under $20.00 if you buy them in quantity, and the humidifier pad is even less. The discount on repairs is even more meaningless, if you don't know for sure what they charge for each individual part. Some people also believe in senior citizen discounts................

Reply to
Lefty

The one time I tried to call a service guy (ignitor in furnace went up one cold fall evening) I found that you can't actually get anyone to come out within a reasonable time frame unless you have a service contract. I still haven't signed one, but I've thought more seriously about it. It feels like a racket, but it's the way it is...

I ended up just staying up all night and moving heaters around and bought a new ignitor in the morning. Got fixed quicker than if I'd waited for a service guy...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Me and my friends who service HVAC systems try to get people to get their AC only units cleaned once a year and their heat pumps cleaned twice a year. The heat pump runs year round and sucks up a lot of dirt into the outdoor unit. The price you were given is not bad for the service they're offering if the tech takes the time to do it right. It will depend on the reputation of the company.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Nate Nagel" wrote>>

Yeah, even "24 Hour Service" means "we'll be there within 23 1/2 hours". It sure does'nt mean what you think it would. I can only recommend using a serviceman that is still small enough to be with-in reach. The big companies all play those games.

Reply to
Lefty

Is this 256 a year for two servicde calls a year? Or is it 512 dollars? Not clear.

Reply to
mm

Either way, it also depends on what you can or can't do yourself. Changing filters in the furnace or the media in an Aprilaire humidifier is very simple and something someone with very basci skills can do themselves. A gas furnace you might want to have looked at every few years, but for me, $256 a year wouldn't be worth it for what they offer.

Reply to
trader4

It is $256 per year

Reply to
c1gmlm

We have one and if you have oil, it should be checked annually not sure what it costs. Seems like overkill as you can change filters and humidifier pad yourself. If by heat pump, it covers AC, I would have no idea of cost.

Reply to
Frank