Serious Question - Why am I splitting firewood

Page 1 of 2
Besides making it fit, what is the purpose of splitting firewood? To help it dry? To help it burn? I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why. Thanks Rb
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:pbt7t6tjq0ivbs2j26jaqoba8nvb6bdg0u@ 4ax.com:

Burning of wood takes mostly place near the surface, where the heat generates combustible gases. Therefore a larger surface area will burn better & faster. Obviously splitting the wood generates more surface.
--
Best regards
Han
On 05/18/2011 11:40 AM, Han wrote:

So a person can use a smaller stove if they split the firewood. Also they have to split the wood if they use a smaller stove.
i had a family friend who heated their home with wood, and bragged about how much money they saved over oil heat:)
I then asked how much work does it take?
Oh the wood is free from a summer camp they owned:)
BUT they had to drive there every weekend for the summer to cut split and haul the wood out of their mini forest. then haul the wood home and stack and let dry for a year.
as i pointed out to them oil was cheaper.
if compared to the 3 of them having minimum wage jobs putting the same number of hours in working at the local store, and adding in the cost of gasoline to haul the many truckloads of wood home each weekend.
one family member admitted it started out fun but became a never ending job he hated the constamt push to be ready for heat, concerned all summer long...........
free heat wasnt free at all

re: "if compared to the 3 of them having minimum wage jobs putting the same number of hours in working at the local store"
We often hear people say "It's not worth my time to do it myself. My time is worth $X/hour and I can pay someone less than that to do it for me."
That logic only works if you actually earn $X/hour during the time that you would have otherwise been working on the project. If you hire a guy to do it and then go sit on your butt shoveling Cheetos into your mouth, then it didn't make economic sense to hire it out. The money left your pocket and wasn't replaced.
In other words, unless the 3 of them actually went out and got that minimum wage job, you can't use it as a comparison. If they pay for the oil but don't work to offset the cost, then their cash flow will show an outflow which might be more than the cost of the gas required to get the wood.
I don't know that it will, because I don't know the actual numbers, but I do know that you can't factor wages into the equation if the wages don't exist.

well at minimum its a comparison of value.
to say I save 3 grand a year by heating with wood is fine:)
but, it night cst the proud person 500 bucks in gasoline, wear and tear on vehicle.
so now theire savings is $2500 bucks:)
Now if just one person works minimum wage for a take home after taxes SS and all the rest of 5 bucks per hour....
just 500 hours to be equal, and way more convenient no tending the fire, no emptying ashes, no hauling the wood inside in freezing weather.
under 10 hours a week to be equal $500 divided by 50 weeks, allowing 2 weeks for vacation
now wether or not the individual choose to work the job isnt really revelant, this still details costs
bob haller wrote:

You'll never catch a lazy person doing anything that is good for their health.
--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

Sure it details the cost, but it's a fruitless exercise. I think we can be pretty sure that no one in that family is going to take the minimum wage job to offset the cost of changing from wood to oil.
If the savings is $3K before gas & maintenance and $2.5K after "operating expenses", it's still a savings of $2.5K.
You can't negate that savings by bringing non-existent (and never going to be existent) wages into the equation and claiming that oil would be cheaper.
Why not say:
"If you won the lottery, the oil would be cheaper." "If Grandma leaves you $5 million, the oil would be cheaper" "If all of the members of usenet chipped in enough to give you $2.5K/ year the oil would be cheaper"
Ain't none of those things gonna happen, just like the job at the mini- mart ain't gonna happen, so they aren't relevant to the cost comparison.

One can also deduct the cost of a gym membership to get the same physical conditioning cutting wood gives one. In my case (I do 10 plus cords/yr) I would probably be grossly overweight or dead without the excercise I get. I can't stand to 'excercise for the sake of excercise' Got a treadmill, stationary bike, tread climber and couldn't stand the boredom of using any of them.
Harry K
On 5/18/2011 11:37 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

yes (besides, it warms you twice't)

someone had to say it, I guess...
nate

I have always found that statement to be ridiculous.
It's a rare case when someone splits wood just to keep warm. Given the option of splitting wood as a means to keep warm vs. spending time in a heated space to keep warm, I'm pretty sure most people would skip the work.
In other words I don't see the "warming you twice" situation as any type of advantage.

You are correct. And then they get fat and PAY to go to a gym...
(I do too, but I have neither trees nor the need for firewood (Miami)).
On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:11:38 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel

Can't you split rocks into sand?
DerbyDad, where, Oh Where, is your sense of humor ?? You TRULY don't get the humor ???
James ------------------------------------
> yes (besides, it warms you twice't)

I have always found that statement to be ridiculous.
It's a rare case when someone splits wood just to keep warm. Given the option of splitting wood as a means to keep warm vs. spending time in a heated space to keep warm, I'm pretty sure most people would skip the work.
In other words I don't see the "warming you twice" situation as any type of advantage.
On 05/18/2011 03:38 PM, James wrote:

Yeah---what a stiff.
But was it worse than top posting?

Have you ever seen someone actually *laugh* when they say "Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice."?
In fact, there are many believe that Henry Ford was not even talking about chopping wood when he said it.
The phrase can be taken to mean "When you take the initiative and do something on your own, you will be rewarded over and over again."
In other words, it was never meant to be a joke.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It reduces drying time, aids in handling and stacking and burns easier. I split everything over 3 inches in diameter. I cut and split 6 cord last fall, with a chain saw and hydraulic splitter. I know some people who like to ax it all, too much work. I had some logs 22 inches in diameter. I get enough exercise carrying and stacking it and carrying it again into the house to burn.
--
You don't have to be stupid to know stupid when you see it.

On 5/18/2011 12:46 PM, LSMFT wrote:

Shrug. Around here, unless you have a source of free wood, heating with natural gas is cheaper. Coming up on six years in this house, and I have yet to use the faux fireplace. (Kinda scared to open the glass doors, at this point, lest something is looking back at me...)
No SWMBO here, so no OTHER reason to build a fire,,,, :^(
--
aem sends...

On May 18, 12:37pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

re: "I'm tired of splitting it but not knowing why."
You really don't know why you're tired of splitting it?
That should be pretty easy to figure out!