Septic tank risers

Hi,

Had my septic tank pumped yesterday. Told that I was required to install (Connecticut) a riser because the access to the tank was 16" deep so I had him do this.

The question I have is that the tank access lid is now only about 6 to

8 inches below and I wonder if this will present a risk of freezing in winter to the inlet pipe. Also, I do now know why but he put the riser on the inlet baffle access instead of the main tank access and he pumped from that area as well The previous two times I had it pumped it was done from the main access.

Does this all see ok, or should I dig it all up myself since it's easy to get to now and replace it with dirt as it was?

Thanks a lot, Steve

Reply to
Steve44

No, there is no risk of freezing. Septic activity produces enough heat to keep tank warm. I don't know what an inlet baffle is, but pumping is done from an access that opens directly to the septic tank.

Reply to
jake

You should never pump from the inlet baffle (what I'm assuming you are calling the inspection port). You can damage the port doing that and it won't get everything anyway. Sounds like the guy who pumped your tank wasn't knowledgable.

There are two areas of the septic tank, the main tank, and a secondary tank separated by a high wall. The secondary tank captures the stuff that flows over the wall when too much water is pushed into the tank all at once. It's a way of preventing the fecal matter and TP from getting into your distribution box. My guess is that he pumped from the inspection port, but it's also possible he pumped from the primary tank (a good thing) but not from the overflow area.

Reply to
Eigenvector

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've only personally seen different 1000 gal tanks pumped maybe 4 times. They were all concrete. But what I did see on all of them is the round main in the middle for pumping and the two inlet & outlet inspection caps.

The inspection caps were much much smaller. I am surprised a pump hose would fit in an inpection hole.

Reply to
Al Bundy