Septic tank question

Sometimes my water sample comes back with a high bacteria count. I have started inserting a small chlorine "puck" in the filter case in the plumbing once a week. Will this put enough chlorine in the system to upset my septic system. I add an enzyme to the septic system once a month regardless, Would bromine be preferable to chlorine?. (We use the water for boiled applications such as coffee. But we don't drink it from the tap.) ds

Reply to
DS

Depends on the size of the tab and how often you replace it. I'd suggest you install a small UV purifier instead. Something like these:

I'd also think about getting a well company out to figure out why your well water is contaminated. Hopefully it's just becase someone opened the cap and didn't sanitize before closing it.

There are plenty of natural bacteria in what's going into the tank for the tank to operate properly. Most reputable sources (ie the EPA, Universities, etc.) state that any commercial additive or homemade helper is at best a waste of money or will make things worse. Any enzyme you put in the tank will not counter the chlorine - it's the bacteria you want to preserve..

No.

A UV system will take care of your problem.

Reply to
Robert Neville