Septic tank question

Page 2 of 2

Yeah. I forgot that there are precast tanks. The ones I have been associated with were the 'poured in place' type where the lids do just sit flat on top.
Harry K
on 6/19/2009 11:07 AM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote the following:

The tank is completely enclosed, so there is very little water that can get in, and any rain that does get in would be around the cleanout cover, which would be no more than some dripping. With all that rain, it would probably be less than one flush of the toilet. There would be much more rainwater flooding the septic fields, though..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yep! The guy is full of it.
Harry K
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:18:03 -0700 (PDT), harry k

I guess you are right, Why should I trust someone with 20 years in the business when I have internet experts.
on 6/22/2009 12:57 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Nobody was talking about selling anything. I just said not to leave the hole over the hatch open. Fill it in.

Keep the lids in place and buy extenders to sit around them that extend past ground level. The extenders have lids on them that may have to be purchased separately. The lids underground (the ones you already have) will remain in place and the other lids will cover the extender holes.
Water wil not flood your leach field. If that was the case, your leach field would get flodded every time it rains, from ground water.
You may get an occasional smell whent he wind blows right, but not enough to cause you to go inside.
Call you local Pre-cast supplier and they will help you out.
Hank

have to be purchased separately. The lids underground (the ones you already have) will remain in place <<
The 12" extensions sit flush in/on the existing tank opening and the normal "cap" fits them fine..no need for two "lids". I used two for my tank. They told me there were 8" (and 24's) extensions also available. If you just want to go with what's there already, cover the "naked" caps with a piece of sheet plastic and throw some wood chips/mulch over top for decor purposes. I incorporated this method into a rock mulch covered landscape feature, effectively 'hiding' the caps.
John D99 wrote:

way there is no problem with access. When we first moved into new house septic came up and we needed a new drain field installed. A switcher box was put in where I can switch drain fields when needed but it was buried. I dug it up myself when needed and went to local concrete company and bought ring and cap. Sometimes there is a slight odor but it is in back yard and you have to be near to smell it. There is no secondary cap over the box such as you would have with your tank so I doubt there would be any odor. I have none from mine at the tank.
Perry525 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Septic-tank-question-379454-.htm :
John D99 wrote:

You should always keep easy access to your septic tank. It is a good idea to check the height of the compacted solids in the tank around late summer. You do this by opening the septic and pushing a pole down through the floating scum until you feel the soft top of the solids. When the solids are twelve inches below the bottom of the outlet T the tank needs to be emptied. Doing this avoids any surprises and you can see how that 55 grams of toilet that you leave every day gradually fills the tank - it takes years to fill. Provided you only use it for human waste. Always make sure the lids are in place, always make sure that rain and surface water cannot get into the top of the tank - water getting into the top of a tank will make it smell Perry
------------------------------------- Perry
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 359833 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
on 6/19/2009 10:45 AM (ET) John D99 wrote the following:

Just 12" deep? I wish mine were 12" deep rather than 36". Fortunately, I only have to uncover it every few years. I have some triangular measurements taken from parts of the house to the center of the cleanout hole location so I always know where to dig.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Nextime you dig down, Put down some extensions
And a flower pot over the hole? Sure makes it easier to find, later. Ring of copper wire, so you can find it with a metal detector. Near the surface.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus