Septic tank question

Correct if you are referring to the _liquid_ level. The 'cake' floats on top. Would water running onto the top of the cake penetrate it? Dunno but the pumpers have to stir that up in order to suck it up.

Still leaves the problem of enough water making its way through small cracks to 'flood the the field'. Then someone else already mentioned the _fact_ that if ground water is entering the tank, the field is already flooded.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Yeah. I forgot that there are precast tanks. The ones I have been associated with were the 'poured in place' type where the lids do just sit flat on top.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Yep! The guy is full of it.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

harry k wrote: ...

Yes, but even if it didn't it would flow out the drain--it can't/won't "stand" above an opening unless it is blocked.

And, there are two (at least) compartments--the exit is separated from the inlet side by a baffle that reaches to the top so the solids are retained there leaving essentially only liquid in the outlet chamber. Otherwise the drain field would get clogged w/ solids almost immediately.

Doesn't necessarily follow (depends on relative amounts of input versus perc capacity of the field) but certainly large quantities of groundwater should be prevented from entering the tank.

--

Reply to
dpb

I guess you are right, Why should I trust someone with 20 years in the business when I have internet experts.

Reply to
gfretwell

on 6/22/2009 12:57 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote the following:

We're not trying to sell you a cleanout.

Reply to
willshak

Nobody was talking about selling anything. I just said not to leave the hole over the hatch open. Fill it in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nextime you dig down, Put down some extensions

Reply to
Rudy

And a flower pot over the hole? Sure makes it easier to find, later. Ring of copper wire, so you can find it with a metal detector. Near the surface.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So explain just how "larged quantities" can enter the tank dthrough very small unsealed openings. Seepage or maybe even drips are about all you can get.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

If you have a washtub sized hole full of water right over the clean out there will be a lot of water going into the tank if the only "seal" is the ragged edges of the concrete plug. If this also happens to be in the area where the roof drains off, that hole will stay full of water as long as it is raining. You would be surprised how well a foot or two of sand will stop sheet flowing water so this will not get to the drain field but you are mainlining it right into the tank.

Reply to
gfretwell

So like several of us said- if he doesn't wanna shovel next time, add a prefabricated or improvised manhole with a lid, over the inspection/cleanout holes. Include freeze protection as needed by local climate. Several ways to do it, depending on local code requirements. Not rocket surgery, just a glorified outhouse.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I never said that was a bad idea. Peace out

Reply to
gfretwell