septic tank question

Can anyone give me a rough idea on the distance from a 4" diameter inspection pipe to the septic tank cover on a 1000 gallon tank? I've got such a setup at my house where I can see the inspection pipe protruding out from the ground roughly 10-12' from the house foundation and I was trying to get an idea as to how far from that pipe do I have to start digging around for the cover.
Thanks in advance.
-
Tony wrote:

That pipe may very well be a clean out pipe and the distance from it to the tank can vary many feet.. Best thing is get a rod that you can probe with an locate the tank with. Unless your in a climate where the tank is deep below frost line. Then you may have to use a camera set up .
Jack wrote:

To elaborate on that a little: get a yard-long piece of plain steel rod from the hardware store, say 1/8 or 3/16ths, bend a couple inches over at the top to make a handle, then just start poking the ground with it near the inspection pipe and working back or forward from there. -- H
If'n you know someone with a metal detector, they can find the top loop in the plug easily. I have to go up to my cabin and pop the top and have a look, and that's what I'm going to try first. Of course, I have a metal detector, but maybe you have one, or know someone who does.
Steve

Most honeydipper companies will locate your tank cover for a fee. It will save you a lot of time.
Tony wrote:

Tony wrote:

Odds are it is only a few feet down. But you never know, mine is 15 feet....