septic tank pump-out

Page 1 of 2

How much liquid should be left on the bottom of a septic tank after being cleaned 1", 2" or more?
pat wrote:

It doesn't matter. The point of septic tank pumping is to remove undigested solids so they can't build to a level where they are carried over the baffle and eventually into the outlet where they clog the leaching field.
when they do mine, it's empty when they leave.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

could be damaged if left completely empty, I am told.
depends on what the tank is made of, and the water table in your area. I've never known of this practice. And i doubt that the installers even in YOUR area fill new tanks with water.

I asked about refil, one time. The septic pumper guy said it would fill in a couple days from normal usage of water. I guess if you were concerned, you could run water in the tub till the tank filled a bit.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Chris wrote:

You were told a lie.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

with a very high water table, could an empty one float out of the ground if not buried deeply?

A light weight plastic or metal tank in a high water table area might want to float if it is not weighed down with plenty of soil overburden or full of water.

In 2004, when building my new house, the 1500 gal.two chamber concrete septic tank and line was installed but not backfilled. A tropical storm came through and dumped about 2" of rain. The empty tank floated and turned over in the trench. The installers broke it while trying to right it and had to install another. So, it doesn't matter what their made of it all has to do with water displacement in a confined space.
Don't the kids at MIT do that every year? Concrete boat?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Blattus Slafaly wrote:

trucks one with an empty tank to fill up with sludge and the other truck with a tank full of water. Has been in the business of installing septics like twenty years. Too bad he never had a chance to learn from you how to do things right and save money too... :>)
pat wrote:

Tank with field? Mine is just 1000 gallon holding tank for my cabin. When they pump out, it is empty, nothing left.

Well, if you're paying them to pump a 1000 gal tank and a part of the total charge is a dumping fee for 1000 gal, let them take 1000 gal.
The bottom of the tank contains sludge. Sludge is normal. Under normal operation sludge is constantly being decomposed and replaced by new sludge. Too much sludge can cause failure.
From http://extension.umd.edu/environment/Water/files/septic.html
"Hire a licensed professional (listed in the phone book under "septic tank cleaners") to pump the waste out of your tank. The tank should be pumped out through the manhole, not the smaller inspection ports. The tank should be cleaned completely, leaving nothing in the tank. Make sure the baffles are inspected and that the tank is checked for leaks."
septic tank pump-out :

Leaving 1 or 2 inches is reasonable.

This is a wind up? But, I will answer anyway. A septic tank is always totally full of water. When removing the sludge from the bottom (which can set quite firmly they should use a pressure hose to break it up and then pump it out) refilling with water. The septic process relies on an anaerobic system of airless decomposition, this means, that to work properly (and not to smell) the solids must be under water at all times, this processes the solids and certain toxins and turns them into various gases and water. 70% of toilet is water anyway. So the remainder is very small after process. That is why a properly used septic tank will only need emptying every 20 or 30 years. The resulting liquid then moves away into the drain field where it goes through an aerobic process that kills off the remaining toxins and viruses. Before the liquid now pure water rejoins the local aquifer and you drink it again. As mentioned elsewhere, a tank must always be full, especially when installing as the pressure of the backfill can damage the tank and as written elsewhere, if not completely full of waste and water, in times of flooding or high water level, the tank will pop out of the ground. Perry
bs. pure bs.

On Oct 4, 1:40pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

Go read 'aemeijers' reply and learn something.
Harry K

Well not <always>. In PIMA county AZ, you are required to EMPTY the tank when the house is sold and there must be an inspection of the EMPTY tank, w/form submitted to the DEQ (County).
Rudy wrote:

comments like this?