Septic Tank Odor: Vent filters?

I have septic tank odors coming from the sewer vents on the roof. If the wind is light, it cascades down and is noxious.
Does anyone (who is not related to the manufacturer) have any experience (good or bad) with the vent pipe filters (such as "Odorhog" or equivalent)?
snipped-for-privacy@sneakemail.com (M Q) writes:

I had that problem after I had my septic tank replaced. Gag a maggot. I finally went to town, bought a gallon of cheap vegetable oil, and poured it down the drain. There was an immediate great improvement, and now the odors have ceased completely.
The secret is in the scum. If you don't have any scum, your tank stinks.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc