septic tank & coffee grounds

YA BUT, people with septic tanks SHOULD NOT use the garbage disposal.

Steve Barker LT

ya, but, did you flush it?

Steve Barker LT

Rediculous. Millions of people prove you wrong every day. Stick to the proper pumping schedule and there's no problem. The same applies to people without garbage disposals.

Reply to
mike

and millions of people have septic problems.

case closed.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

on 10/1/2007 4:49 PM SteveB said the following:

The less you put in a septic system, the longer the time between cleanings. Do you have a septic system? Do you know what pumping a septic system costs? Where I live, it is $400, and last time, I had the dry well pumped at the same time for a grand total of $800.

Reply to
willshak

Learn from folks who deal with septic systems for a living (Control+F the page for garbage):

Feces & TP don't have exclusive, magical, septic-friendly properites. If you met someone with septic problems, they probably didn't pump out their tank on a proper schedule (or ever).

Reply to
mike

I apologize. It's been a long day, and the brain surgery didn't go that well.

I must have gotten my wires crossed. I thought the person inferred that it was okay to flush tampons. I guess too many no's not's and whatever in the same sentence. Maybe it's these glasses.

Didn't Frank Zappa have a song that had a line in it about flushing "tampoons"?

Steve, who doesn't think it's a good idea to put anything but sewage into a septic tank.

Reply to
SteveB

As an aside, at our mountain cabin, we have two trash cans in the bathroom. We have a sign that asks guests to please put TP in the flip up lid trash can. Then it says, "But, if it's REALLY brown, send it down."

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I totally agree. Once I asked a septic guy about that, and he said, "It's partially digested food, isn't it? It's the same as crap."

Maybe so, and I DO have a garbage disposal on a septic tank, but I still don't send a lot down it. Hardly anything. We now have a compost pile, so that makes it a little easier. Trash guy comes once a week here in the country, and stuff can get real skanky in a week. The compost pile is going to help.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

What kind of problems? You send it down, no problem. You're supposed to have it pumped? I've heard of people with 75 year old systems that have NEVER been pumped. What kind of problems could anyone have with something so simple as a septic system?

Steve ( It's a joke, son. Ahhhh joke Ahhh said. - Foghorn Leghorn)

Reply to
SteveB

Wow! Here in upstate NY boonie-ville it has never cost more than $225, and I've been here 25 years. I've have it pumped about 5 times, and it's never been more than half to three-quarters full.

Reply to
<h>

Yes, I have a septic tank, and it is about $400.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Best way to stop this practice, is to tell the females in the house that the septic tank pump operator will see them floating on top the the liquid in the tank. Most women want them to disappear and not to have anyone to see them, which doesn&#39;t happen with septic tanks.

Reply to
EXT

Do you dry it out and re-use it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No, just toss it into the trash. What else would we do with it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well, on airplanes, they used to provide a little stack of waxed-paper bags to containerize things like sanitary products and used diapers- probably at the behest of the ground crew that gets to empty the trash chute in the cans. I imagine those bags are available somewhere to civilians.

I worked one semester in college as a night shift janitor on campus. The ladies bathrooms were always the nastiest rooms on the list for the night.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Agreed, putting any type of solids into a septic system, especially nice fine clumpy stuff, just is not a good practice.

Reply to
Jackson

Apparently he has never heard of the tank cleaners cussing out the "white sewer rats" they have to deal with.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I worked as a "Corrections Officer" (read Jailer or Turnkey, there is no "Corrections" involved in that job). Female Work Release had a neat little &#39;Sanitary Napkins" box on the wall. It disappeared the first time I had to empty it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And millions of people have traffic accidents. That millions of people do something does not make it right.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K