septic tank & coffee grounds

Page 2 of 3

Well, on airplanes, they used to provide a little stack of waxed-paper bags to containerize things like sanitary products and used diapers- probably at the behest of the ground crew that gets to empty the trash chute in the cans. I imagine those bags are available somewhere to civilians.
I worked one semester in college as a night shift janitor on campus. The ladies bathrooms were always the nastiest rooms on the list for the night.
aem sends...

I worked as a "Corrections Officer" (read Jailer or Turnkey, there is no "Corrections" involved in that job). Female Work Release had a neat little 'Sanitary Napkins" box on the wall. It disappeared the first time I had to empty it.
Harry K
replying to willshak, Kara keating wrote: Unfortunately marketing schemes like the word "flushable" confuses a lot of people. Just because a product says flushable doesn't mean biodegradable. Like baby wipes say flushable however they have costed public municipalities millions of dollars for back ups and thousands of pounds of "FLUSHABLE" items to be removed out of our sewage plants. So think of an individual septic on our properties, it cannot and will not break this stuff down.
h wrote:

Sewage treament plants have to remove the "non-biodegradable" items from their filters regularly: parakeets used as potholders, monkey legs, a 52 Nash, Glock pistols, entire sets of encyclopedias. You'd be surprised.
Heck, I found a (neatly folded), used, Pamper in a shopping cart at Walmart.
ya, but, did you flush it?

Why put them there? Best place is to spread them in a garden, flower bed or compost heap. If not that, then in the trash.
Harry K

You can put all kinds of organic matter in a septic tank. People with septic tanks have garbage disposals after all. You just have to have it pumped out more often. It's not rocket science. Ignore the hysterics.
Google septic tank pumping chart.
on 10/1/2007 11:35 AM mike said the following:

I have a dry well separate from the septic system, The only things that go into the dry well are from the sinks and bath/showers (grey water). I have no disposal. I don't see a need for a disposal since we dump food waste in the compactor right next to the sink. The only food that gets into our dry well is whatever can squeeze through the drain strainer.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Rediculous. Millions of people prove you wrong every day. Stick to the proper pumping schedule and there's no problem. The same applies to people without garbage disposals.
and millions of people have septic problems.
case closed.

Learn from folks who deal with septic systems for a living (Control+F the page for garbage):
http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/tankpump.htm
Feces & TP don't have exclusive, magical, septic-friendly properites. If you met someone with septic problems, they probably didn't pump out their tank on a proper schedule (or ever).

What kind of problems? You send it down, no problem. You're supposed to have it pumped? I've heard of people with 75 year old systems that have NEVER been pumped. What kind of problems could anyone have with something so simple as a septic system?
Steve ( It's a joke, son. Ahhhh joke Ahhh said. - Foghorn Leghorn)
on 10/1/2007 4:49 PM SteveB said the following:

The less you put in a septic system, the longer the time between cleanings. Do you have a septic system? Do you know what pumping a septic system costs? Where I live, it is $400, and last time, I had the dry well pumped at the same time for a grand total of $800.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Wow! Here in upstate NY boonie-ville it has never cost more than $225, and I've been here 25 years. I've have it pumped about 5 times, and it's never been more than half to three-quarters full.

And millions of people have traffic accidents. That millions of people do something does not make it right.
Harry K

Sigh. You didn't read the link, did you? Millions of people successfully using a garbage disposal with a septic tank, long term, is not comparable to people who unsuccessfully drive their car.
Millions of people successfully using a garbage disposal with a septic system, long term, indicates that it can be done quite easily. But you'd already know that if you had read the link on septic tank pumping schedules.

I totally agree. Once I asked a septic guy about that, and he said, "It's partially digested food, isn't it? It's the same as crap."
Maybe so, and I DO have a garbage disposal on a septic tank, but I still don't send a lot down it. Hardly anything. We now have a compost pile, so that makes it a little easier. Trash guy comes once a week here in the country, and stuff can get real skanky in a week. The compost pile is going to help.
Steve
As an aside, at our mountain cabin, we have two trash cans in the bathroom. We have a sign that asks guests to please put TP in the flip up lid trash can. Then it says, "But, if it's REALLY brown, send it down."
Steve