septic tank & coffee grounds

Page 1 of 3
Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?
I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.
Thanks.
newman wrote:

sewer that can be thrown in trash.
Frank

Agreed, putting any type of solids into a septic system, especially nice fine clumpy stuff, just is not a good practice.
NO, and i agree with Frank, why would you want to?

T.P. and human waste. ** Nothing** else. Yes, you have to clean the toilet but forget about the blue or the white tablets in the water closet. That crud is hard on the bacteria.

Which is exactly right in theory, but you have to make *some* allowances in practice if there are women between the ages of 12 and 60 or so in the house.
Having just installed an $18K super computer controlled septic system that would seem to be able to handle a minor metropolis and having survived some rather graphic negotiations with the SO, dropping a few bucks every year or two to get the waste tank pumped out seems a fair trade...
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
what's that got to do with it? Please don't tell me they flush sanitary products. THAT is a #1 no no.

You can't go wrong with the original approach:
If it's not turds, shower water, urine, or dishwater, put it in the trash.
Septic is for septic, trash is for trash.
Simple, really.
Steve

females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.
<h> wrote:

Not the applicator, but yes, the used tampon... Not a high volume item of course.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

?! I can't tell you what a bad idea that is. Someone has to learn a new behavior pattern, that's all.
As far as the coffee grounds, like another posted, toss the grounds in the garden - plants love the stuff.

about 6-10 a day for 5-6 days for each woman in the house and you think that's not a high volume? Your plumbing backs up a lot, doesn't it? Glad I don't live in your house. Shudder.
<h> wrote in message

Best way to stop this practice, is to tell the females in the house that the septic tank pump operator will see them floating on top the the liquid in the tank. Most women want them to disappear and not to have anyone to see them, which doesn't happen with septic tanks.
NOT in MY house they don't!

<h> wrote

What planet do YOU live on? Here on earth, it is a common practice. Any sewage treatment plant in the US will verify this.
Of course, what you wrote was a joke, right?
Haha.
Steve

SEPTIC TANK. NEVER flush a tampon down a septic system. What planet are YOU living on? You can't really be that ignorant, can you?
<h> wrote in message

I apologize. It's been a long day, and the brain surgery didn't go that well.
I must have gotten my wires crossed. I thought the person inferred that it was okay to flush tampons. I guess too many no's not's and whatever in the same sentence. Maybe it's these glasses.
Didn't Frank Zappa have a song that had a line in it about flushing "tampoons"?
Steve, who doesn't think it's a good idea to put anything but sewage into a septic tank.
On Oct 1, 8:14 am, <h> wrote:

Apparently he has never heard of the tank cleaners cussing out the "white sewer rats" they have to deal with.
Harry K
on 10/1/2007 9:25 AM h said the following:

But the trouble comes when the manufacturer says they are flushable. http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/femcare/beyond.asp My house has a septic system and when there are barbecues or other gatherings, females are embarrassed to put them in the trash pail next to the toilet. I'm almost tempted to put a sign in the guest bathroom telling female guests to not flush them.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Umm, that's the first thing I tell my female friends when they visit. I think DH would be uncomfortable having that conversation, but really, EVERY female should already know this, if they have ever lived with a septic system. I don't care WHAT the box says, you should NOT flush a tampon down a septic system.