septic tank & coffee grounds

Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

Reply to
newman

Who knows. But it is just plain stupid to put anything in septic or sewer that can be thrown in trash.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

NO, and i agree with Frank, why would you want to?

Steve Barker LT

T.P. and human waste. ** Nothing** else. Yes, you have to clean the toilet but forget about the blue or the white tablets in the water closet. That crud is hard on the bacteria.

Reply to
C & E

Why put them there? Best place is to spread them in a garden, flower bed or compost heap. If not that, then in the trash.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Which is exactly right in theory, but you have to make *some* allowances in practice if there are women between the ages of 12 and 60 or so in the house.

Having just installed an $18K super computer controlled septic system that would seem to be able to handle a minor metropolis and having survived some rather graphic negotiations with the SO, dropping a few bucks every year or two to get the waste tank pumped out seems a fair trade...

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

what's that got to do with it? Please don't tell me they flush sanitary products. THAT is a #1 no no.

Steve Barker LT

You can't go wrong with the original approach:

If it's not turds, shower water, urine, or dishwater, put it in the trash.

Septic is for septic, trash is for trash.

Simple, really.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

??? You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of us females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

Reply to
<h>

Not the applicator, but yes, the used tampon... Not a high volume item of course.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

?! I can&#39;t tell you what a bad idea that is. Someone has to learn a new behavior pattern, that&#39;s all.

As far as the coffee grounds, like another posted, toss the grounds in the garden - plants love the stuff.

RicodJour

How unbelievably gross. They actually flush the tampon? That works out to about 6-10 a day for 5-6 days for each woman in the house and you think that&#39;s not a high volume? Your plumbing backs up a lot, doesn&#39;t it? Glad I don&#39;t live in your house. Shudder.

Reply to
<h>

NOT in MY house they don&#39;t!

Steve Barker LT

No, it&#39;s not a joke. We&#39;re not talking sewage treatment, we&#39;re talking SEPTIC TANK. NEVER flush a tampon down a septic system. What planet are YOU living on? You can&#39;t really be that ignorant, can you?

Reply to
<h>

You can put all kinds of organic matter in a septic tank. People with septic tanks have garbage disposals after all. You just have to have it pumped out more often. It&#39;s not rocket science. Ignore the hysterics.

Google septic tank pumping chart.

Reply to
mike

wrote

What planet do YOU live on? Here on earth, it is a common practice. Any sewage treatment plant in the US will verify this.

Of course, what you wrote was a joke, right?

Haha.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

on 10/1/2007 9:25 AM h said the following:

But the trouble comes when the manufacturer says they are flushable.

house has a septic system and when there are barbecues or other gatherings, females are embarrassed to put them in the trash pail next to the toilet. I&#39;m almost tempted to put a sign in the guest bathroom telling female guests to not flush them.

Reply to
willshak

I have a dry well separate from the septic system, The only things that go into the dry well are from the sinks and bath/showers (grey water). I have no disposal. I don&#39;t see a need for a disposal since we dump food waste in the compactor right next to the sink. The only food that gets into our dry well is whatever can squeeze through the drain strainer.

Reply to
willshak

Umm, that&#39;s the first thing I tell my female friends when they visit. I think DH would be uncomfortable having that conversation, but really, EVERY female should already know this, if they have ever lived with a septic system. I don&#39;t care WHAT the box says, you should NOT flush a tampon down a septic system.

Reply to
<h>

Sewage treament plants have to remove the "non-biodegradable" items from their filters regularly: parakeets used as potholders, monkey legs, a 52 Nash, Glock pistols, entire sets of encyclopedias. You&#39;d be surprised.

Heck, I found a (neatly folded), used, Pamper in a shopping cart at Walmart.

Reply to
HeyBub