Septic question

To keep my toilet clean (and prevent rust deposits from my high iron well water) I use a compound called "The Works". The main ingredient is listed as "Hydrogen Chloride" which I interpret as hydrochloric acid (HCl). This is the same compound that is used in Lysol toilet bowl cleaner but in stronger concentration. Will a squirt once a day have any impact on a septic system?
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
---MIKE--- wrote:

Could. Quote from http://www.ahc.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u 5
"For correct functioning, septic tanks need to operate under alkaline conditions. Some factors which can cause acid conditions and odour problems include:
Excessive use or use of the wrong type of cleaning chemicals. Shock volumes of incoming water (eg from several loads of washing in quick succession or a large number of people at a party). Lack of use of the system while the house has been vacant. The normal bacteria may die off under acid conditions resulting in offensive odours. It is quite simple to restore the balance using hydrated lime available from hardware stores."
--

dadiOH
____________________________
---MIKE--- wrote:

A couple of ounces a day isn't going to bother your tank, as long as everything else is in order.

A couple ounces a day of strongish HCl might be a bit much if the septic tank is concrete. Shouldn't effect fiberglass.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

OP, how big is your tank? Two ounces of 20% HCL (that's the concentration in the "Works" product) isn't going to budge the pH of a 1500 gallon tank... especially if during the rest of the day you're sending bathwater and laundry water and dishwater down there, all of which are slightly alkaline.
Ether Jones wrote:

75 gal per day per person is the expected average american's water usage pattern. 2oz of 20% in a 500 gallon tank (1500/3 as we now use 3 compartment tanks) won't do squat, especially since you dilute it in 1.X gallons when you flush it to wash the bowl clean.
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:07:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

After it has had time to do its thing, follow it with a squirt of vinegar so you end up with a neutral discharge to your septic system.
.
DK wrote:

Vinegar is also an acid (acetic acid). It does not neutralize HCl.

Right. Should have said baking soda - but not too much.
---MIKE--- wrote:

First, I would attemp to solve the "rust" problem so that you do not have to use harsh chemicals to clean your fixtures. Have you tried whole house filtration for the well water? I also had this issue and installed two filters. The first one is a 20 micron filter to eliminate large particals then a 5 micron to filter even futher. Since I did this, I do not have to worry about clogged pumps in my clothes washer machine and dish washer and my shower head does not clog any more. My shower/tub stays alot cleaner as well as my dishes......
Paul