Septic Odor- Possible Remedies?

In a recent thread, someone noted that there were several remedies for dealing with this problem, but I don't think anything was ever specified. Could someone provide a bit more detail? I live in Maine and there are three vents to the septic, one in the field itself, the second over the tank, and the third at the end of the line to the house (all are comprised of plastic pipe.) This is a small cottage, and the single end-of-line vent is allowed in Maine. It appears the odor is emanating from either the tank vent or the line vent or both. The tank vent has the familiar "cane" shape, and the line vent is simply an extention of the line which runs up the side of the house and extends about two feet above the roof line. I would suspect a chemical could be added to the tank. (Could someone suggest a brand?) The other I remedy I have seen involves charcoal filters which could be placed over the tank vent or the line vent or both, but I wonder about their efficiency. Also, do they last indefinitely or does the charcoal have to be replaced regularly? Your help is much appreciated! Frank

We used to flush yeast down the kitchen drain once a month. I was young and have no clue if this really works. I know it was because of the detergent that mom used.
I'm also in Maine and we must have had our systems designed by the same idiot.
Look at the qualifications for a person to design septic systems in this state and you'll be amazed.
I resolved the odor problem by plugging all vents except the roof vent. The vent over the tank and the one at the end of the field are redundant.
RB
frank1492 wrote:

Do a google group search on Septic and vegetable oil. What a can a of worms. I am in no way advocating you do it. I bring it up just as a reference point in that this discusion has occurred before. I belong to the "no fat in the septic" school of logic (regardless of how many baffles you have).

redundant.
I think this is good advice- I don't know why all those vents are necessary. I am considering a charcoal filter for the stack as well.

Charcoal filters (must be activated charcoal to do any good) need to be replaced. Remember they work because they adsorb the particles that cause the odor sensation on the large surface area created as the the charcoal is "activated." But, once all of the surface area has odor particles attached it needs to be replaced.
If by stack you are referring to something at roof level or above I'd not do anything. Must gases that you are smelling are lighter than air )methane) or only slightly heavier than air (hydrogen sulfide) and will disperse quickly.
RB
frank1492 wrote:

LOL. The first time my guy designed the system he forgot about the neighbor's well- had to do it over.

Maine's regulations are laughable. The order most follow is septic system first, then well. There are regulations that force the septic system to be place a prescribed distance from any well (I think it's 100 ft.) but a well can be placed anywhere. So if you need to, install the septic system and then drill your well right in the center of the leach field. Crazy, but satisfies the bureaucrats.
RB