Septic monitoring device

Hi,
I have a newly installed septic tank that has an ordinary float-switch activated pump to lift waste water up to raised leach field. I would like to monitor pump activity and water usage (just for the fun of it for the most part) by wiring into some kind of counter or single-beep sound into the system. Does anyone know of such a counter? Other ideas?
Dennis
Dennis wrote:

Do you want to a counter like these: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle 0v+counter
or many a "run time" or hour meter: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hour+meter+120v http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hobbs+hour http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hour+meter
Wow, the ebay thing looks just like what I had in mind. It would add one every time the pump goes on?

Dennis wrote:

A count isn't going to tell you much about power consumption since it doesn't measure the run time of the pump. An hour meter will tell you the total run time of the pump. If it's a 120V <15A pump, the simplest thing would be to connect it to a Kill-a-Watt meter ($25 or so) which will give you KWh consumption.

>http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hour+meter+120v
>http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hobbs+hour
>http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hour+meter
Dennis writes:

Radio Shack sells VOMs with PC interface, which thereby can act as a data logger.
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:55:29 -0500, Richard J Kinch

I'll check it out.