Septic maintenance questions

Page 2 of 2
Ether Jones wrote:

You need to shop around for a company that charges less and knows what they are doing! You're going to scare this poor guy back into using the city sewer.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

What makes you think I didn't shop around? I said $140 is the going rate around here; more if you expect the pumper to dig up your access cover.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in wrote:

$140 can be dirt cheap. In one place I lived it was ridden with granola heads. They had state "Acts" and heavey impact fees. Other areas dump your shit wherever long as it's not on the road with an open valve.

How much do you earn?
Now, go buy a truck and insure it, drive to the customer's house, pump out the tank, drive to a disposal area and pay a fee. With the left over money, pay the 15% self employment tax, medical insurance, business overhead, fuel, liability insurance, property tax on the business assets and then pocket the rest. Do you think the guy is getting rich at $140?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You need to get back on your meds. The question wasn't whether or not $140 is a REASONABLE fee (it is). The question was whether it is CHEAP (it is NOT). As you have pointed out, the operator has a lot of expenses. These must be passed on to the consumer if he is to stay in business.
On 18 Sep 2006 19:30:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ether

When I bought the old farmhouse in LoCal in '75, the pumper charged me $35 to empty it. The second time it was $55, ca '89. The third time, ca '01, it was $180 (most wanted $200-$250). Most of that increased fee was due to different fee structures at the newly-categorized hazardous dump location. The rest was a decade and a half of COLA.
BTW, I'm single and easy on septics if you noticed the long spans.
======================================================== What doesn't kill you + http://diversify.com ...makes you hurt more. + Web application programming ========================================================
When you figger he does 15 to 25 of them a day, YES he's getting rich. And the local guy in my area gets $185 (we dig the cover up)
--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
Ahem! There wouldn't be any scum in a tank that is just pumped. They'll refill in 2 or 3 days and there won't be any significant scum in that time.
--
Steve Barker

"Ether Jones" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Of course not.

A family of 4 with a 1500 gallon tank would take more than 2 or 3 days to refill the tank. After a week of showers and laundry and dishwashing there will be scum.
Is this going to single-handedly ruin your drain field? Of course not. But if you pump your tank every year, over time it will contribute to drain field failure. Install a downpipe if you pump frequently.
P.S.
This page tells you how to adjust your pumping schedule if you use a garbage disposal:
http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/pubs/mt9403.html
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://www.nowra.org/files/KnowYourSepticTank.pdf#search=%22septic%20pumping%20chart%22
Great thread. Excellent comments. I like your #1 as wife sometimes goes crazy with "Iron Out" which removes stains from toilets but probably sterilizes septic.
Another comment, I would like to add, is you should know where your clean-out is. When I bought this house, which was built by builder as a spec house, clean-out was buried and I had to have septic cleaner find it and add well ring and cap. For my 2nd drain field, switcher box was buried and when I needed to switch, I dug it up myself (tough to find) and had to repair it and added a well ring and cap myself. It's a good idea to know where everything is if you need help and need to call someone.
Frank wrote:

IMO, a disposal can work just fine with a septic system, or it may be a disaster. Like most things, what counts is how it's used. If you use the disposal for small scraps from food prep, washing dishes, etc, it will be fine. If you intend to put lots of bulk garbage down it that could easily go elsewhere, then you will likely have problems.
When I do food prep over the sink and am left with a pile of peels, I grab most of them and they go in the trash. The remainder get washed down the disposal, which I think makes a good compromise.