Septic - for how many bedrooms

I am building a new house and currently am in the design stage. The current house design has 4 bedrooms + unfinished space (which potentially could be used or sold as a bedroom; it even has its own bathroom). The septic deign\installation is related to the number of bedrooms. The approximated (by septic design person) cost of 4 bedroom septic installation is $8,000 to $10,000. An extra bedroom would add $2,000 to that cost. What are the pros of installing a septic system designed for a 5-bedroom house versus 4. The disadvantage I see is the extra $2,000 :-)
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.
An extra bedroom would add $2,000 to that cost. What are the pros of installing a septic system designed for a 5-bedroom house versus 4. The disadvantage I see is the extra $2,000 :-)
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.
The advantage is that is willk probably be less problematic in the future. That $2000 now may save you $10,000 ten years from now. Or it may not. Depends on so many factors.
You local building inspector may have some ideas on how many potential bedrooms are in the house. That will override anything anyone here suggests.
Martino,
I hope I'm not repeating Mr. Pawlowski but installing an oversize septic tank now does not mean that the septic system is "pre-approved" for bedroom additions. When you do install an extra bedroom your septic system must meet the code requirements at that time. So paying for this oversize septic system now is a gamble. It will require less pumping, but pumping is cheap.
Dave M.
wouldnt that extra cost be for a bigger septic tank and/or more feet of lateral lines ? the more people taking showers,washing cloths ect would require more laters, so the sewage doesnt come up on the ground. many new homes here in ky also have a separate lateral for the washing machine and that really helps the other system hold up. lucas
Thank for replies.
I guess I might want to explain the situation a bit better. The house, being now designed, will have an unfinished section with a small bathroom (just roughed in) and maybe even a kitchenette (also only roughed in). This section can be used for anything: additional bedroom, larger entertainment room, playroom, or even a mother-in-law unit. The house has already 3 bedrooms and 4.25 bathrooms (if a powder room counts as .25 :-). I am a bit confused about designing the size of the septic based on the number of bedrooms; bathrooms would make more sense. It doesn't change the story anyhow. While I don't want to go around the city codes I want to design the house reasonably and therefore am wondering if a septic designed for, per code, 4 bedrooms, will be sufficient for a maximum of 4 people using bathrooms (actually 5 since there is shower + bathtub in one bathroom), running dishwasher and washing machine, a dog being washed in the mudroom bathroom, someone using a powder room, and someone else cleaning strawberries in the kitchen sink - DARN, IT WOULD BE A MAD HOUSE!!!!
Thanks again.

On Thu 09 Jun 2005 09:53:50p, Martino wrote in alt.home.repair:

Heh, the septic tank might bigger than your lot! :-)
Seriously, I don't have a clue. We're going through similar calculations right now.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
On 6/10/2005 12:53 AM US(ET), Martino took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

The size of the septic system is based upon the number of potential occupants, not the number of bathrooms. Bedrooms are a better estimation of potential occupants. I don't know what type of septic system you are installing, but if it has drainage fields like I do, where I live, the code is 100' of fields per bedroom. I have a 3 bedroom house, but had 400' installed. The only discharge into a septic system should be from toilets. All other discharges known as 'grey water' (sinks, showers, tubs, dishwashers, washing machines, etc.) should go into a separate system known as a dry well.

--
Bill

Interesting. I wonder if the septic designer knows about it :-)

Many areas flat-out ban dry wells for grey water. The OP has to find that out for himself.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:53:50 -0700, "Martino"

They use the number of bedrooms to determine how many people can reasonably be living in the house. They multiply that by some fixed number of gallons per person are likely to get used. That determines the size of the settling tank and leach field.
The number of bathrooms changes how much water you can use simultaneously, but the tank is easily large enough to even that out.
Thanks for replies. I think I'll just go with the max possible occupancy factor and have the septic designed for 5 (per code) bedrooms. I'll also make sure not to build too many toilets and invite a soccer team to my house :-)) Cheers.

In Lake county, IL it goes by bedrooms PLUS soil type and they have a gazillion different soil types. You have to determine which one your soil fits into. PLUS you have to plan for a reserve field so that 30 yrs down the road when the original field goes belly up you have room for a new one.
Very very anti growth oriented. THere are houses that were built with one huge bedroom to get around the septic requirements but had 3 "offices". Problem was when it comes time to sell the house you have to advertise as a one bedroom house or face the wrath of somebody. My house has 3 bedrooms but 1 is a converted office. A buyer can sometimes use that to bargain down the house sell price.

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:56:31 -0700, "Martino"

house design has 4 bedrooms + unfinished space (which potentially could be used or sold as a bedroom; it even has its own bathroom). The septic deign\installation is related to the number of bedrooms. The approximated (by septic design person) cost of 4 bedroom septic installation is $8,000 to $10,000. An extra bedroom would add $2,000 to that cost.

Why would you want a septic for the bedrooms? Is there a toilet in each bedroom?
The code here in Seattle goes by the bedroom rather than a bathroom; still, this unfinished bedroom has a bathroom.

Martino wrote:

The disadvantage I see is that you are supporting the septic tank company's Italian villa!
$8,000-10,000 for less than a half day with a backhoe, some drainfield pipe and a concrete tank??? Tell me where you live...I want to move there, open a company doing it at half that price and get rich quick and beyond my wildest dreams.
When I had one done it was like $1500. Don't recall the tank size - 1200 gal. I think - and it was 10 years ago. Make it $1900 in today's dollar. Which still seems too much to me.
I've never known a bedroom to take a dump.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus