septic and garbage disposal

Page 2 of 2
SteveB wrote:

"Other than the homicides, D.C. is a safe place to live and work," (D.C. Mayor).

He's not entirely pulling your chain. Take it from experience. Your septic can handle a little mess, but it can also overload quickly if you dump too much of what it wasnt intended for.
We have a disposal but barely use it. We got used to the Japan system instead. There's a simple drain wire catcher in there which we dump in the trash when the sink is used to peel vegetables etc.