septic and garbage disposal

I just moved to a house that has no garbage disposal unit. The builder said that it's not advisable for a house on a septic system. Is he "pulling my chain"? If what he is saying is true, how do folks handle garbage without a septic tank? I can see a lot of flies and roaches without one.

TIA

Reply to
dk

There are disposals made for septic systems, but I'd not have one myself. Very little has to go down the drain. Vegetable stuff can go on a compost pile, the rest can go in the trash.

Some people have them and have no problems, others have to have the septic pumped more often. If you do get one, at least have your system pumped once in a while rather than wait for a backup.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The builder is right. I have a disposal on my kitchen sink but use it sparingly whcih means food scraps go in garbage and only dish and pan washings go down disposal. Be advised not to overfeed your septic which includes not dumping a lot of fatty food waste, using liquid detergents and not flushing facial tissues or a lot of household chemicals. Septics can handle these things but more frequent pumping will be needed and there is more potential for expensive drainfield backup.

Reply to
Frank

Your builder is F.O.S. and cutting corners. Disposals have been installed with septic service for over 50 years without problems. My first new home (1955) had septic and disposal, 3 others including my current home (Built in

1994) with never a problem.
Reply to
Thomas Avery

Garbage disposals are something of an invented need (as in, invent something, then market to the populace as a necessity.) Few folks around here, where most have septic and a well, have garbage disposals. Food scraps should be few, really, and those that need to be thrown out just mean quicker trips to the outside garbage can. I wrap things like turkey carcasses and potato peelings in a plastic grocery shopping bag first.

I've had garbage disposals while growing up and in some of the rental apartments I lived in. But I never missed it in the 14 years I've been without.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

No good reason to have a garbage disposal, particularly on a septic system. They can be used on a septic system if you're careful, but they can also cause problems if you keep sending junk that isn't readily degradable down them.

The comment about flies and roaches just isn't an issue for most people who have covered garbage cans in their kitchens, empty and seal the garbage on bags regularly so they are ready for garbage collection day, and generally keep their homes clean.

Garbage disposals make more sense in a city environment, where they are on a city sewer system, and people don't have indoor storage space to keep the bagged garbage safe from rats and other vermin until garbage day.

Reply to
Pete C.

we have one, but don't put food scraps down it. I've never had flies and roaches. I just put the junk in the trash and take it out when the can gets full. Put the bags in the poly cart and the trash guys pick it up on friday. You shouldn't run food scraps down a disposal on a septic. Your builder is right.

S. Barker

check cost of pumping your new septic tank. and possibly replacing the drainage field, all to use a disosal.

probably 500 bucks pump 5000 bucks replace drain field.

now is it worth the risk???

Reply to
hallerb

"Other than the homicides, D.C. is a safe place to live and work," (D.C. Mayor).

Reply to
HeyBub

It's an urban legend that you're not supposed to use a disposal with a septic system. Pure BS. Google septic pumping schedule chart disposal.

I wouldn't tolerate kitchen without a disposal. They're great.

Reply to
mike

Septic will function with a garbage disposal. You will just have to have it pumped more often, and there is a chance of leach field lines plugging up and you having to dig the whole thing up. Other than that, no downside to garbage disposals on septic. A lot of people who are on septic either put out garbage to the street or compost.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Your assertion is urban legend since urban folks have no knowledge of septic systems.

Reply to
Pete C.

Having a septic system doesn't make one knowledgeable on the subject. You'd be surpised at how many people with septic systems are unaware that they need to have the solids pumped out on a regular basis.... and then when something bad happens they blame it on food scraps, cleaners, toilet paper, antibiotics or some other silly claim that has no basis in fact.

As far as a septic system is concerned, food and turds are the same thing.

Reply to
mike

More urban legend. A properly sized septic system that is fed only the human waste that is is intended to process does not need regular pumping.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've had neighbors go as long as 20 years and I've gone maybe as long as 5 but eventually they all need to have undigested sludge removed.

With cost of pumping and even having to install an alternate drain field, I figure it's only cost me half of what friends paid for county sewer service over the years.

Also wanted to add that septic aids like Ridex (sic) are not needed. Human waste provides sufficient bacteria.

Plus, lot of argument in this tread is to how garbage disposal use is defined. To me it is getting rid of food scraps that are inconvenient to get into trash. Unless someone has a super garbage disposal machine that handles paper, bottles, cans, etc., you're going to have to put out the trash ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Read and learn:

(my apologies if this gets double-posted)

Reply to
mike

He's not entirely pulling your chain. Take it from experience. Your septic can handle a little mess, but it can also overload quickly if you dump too much of what it wasnt intended for.

We have a disposal but barely use it. We got used to the Japan system instead. There's a simple drain wire catcher in there which we dump in the trash when the sink is used to peel vegetables etc.

Reply to
cshenk

You got that right.

S. Barker

Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

As far as a septic system is concerned, food and turds are the same thing.

Reply to
S. Barker

The sludge does build up. And they should be pumped every 3 years. But most people don't bother until something won't drain. Then they find the sludge has crept out the outlet into the lateral field. Best to pump them at least every 5 years. If a person were to be stupid enough to put food scraps down a septic, i'd pump at least once a year. The grease is not being consumed as fast as you are adding it if you put scraps down it regularly.

S. Barker