Septic alarm

Typical systems work on gravity and don't use pumps. At the top of the septic tank is an exit pipe or pipes that go to the fields where the liquids are dissipated. The solids fall the the bottom of the tank, and those that are not broken down by bacteria eventually get pumped out by the septic company. When your fields are uphill from the septic tank location, you add a second usually smaller tank for the effluent to overflow into, and from there it's pumped uphill to the field location

Yes I realize the difference between gravity-based and pump-based systems.
I figured Will had read my post and seen that I have a pump-based system. Of course a gravity-based system wouldn't need an alarm usually. That is why, when he said he didn't have an alarm, I thought he probably had a gravity based system, but wondered why he mentioned it (as it would be obvious). Thus my questions.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote the following:

No, I don't have a pump, it's gravity fed. The tank and fields are lower than the lowest toilet in the house. How do I know when it needs pumping? The water leaving the toilet takes longer than usual and the plunger doesn't help. :-) I've only had the tank pumped out twice since the house was built 27 years ago. The last time was in March of 2003 when there was 4 of us living in the house. Now there's only the wife and I.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY