September 11

Page 2 of 3

Ahhh. Well, I'm so glad that h (how do you pronounce that, BTW?) stopped by to enlighten idiots like me. Silly me, thinking that dozens of news sources could all be telling the truth, when all along h has the answers. Next thing you know, h will be telling us how the pentagon staged the whole thing, etc.
Next time you want to express your opinion, h, go right ahead. It is your unalienable right to do so, after all (I'm assuming from your derisive remark about Republicans that you are a US citizen). However, I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a person who rises and sleeps under the blanket of freedom our country provides and then questions the manner in which it is provided.
<plonk>

It is the DUTY of every citizen to question the government, especially when it is involved in illegal, ill-conceived, and just plain wrong-headed activities. Or didn't they teach you that in civics class. Plonk.
h wrote:

It's complicated, but I'll try.
There are three classic reasons for punishment:
1) Protection of society from further depredations by the goblins, 2) Rehabilitation of the squints, 3) Deterrence of those similarly inclined.
Now in the case of 9-11, we obviously could neither protect society from further evil acts by the slopes nor rehabilitate those scrots (because they were dead). But we COULD deter others by punishing somebody - and it didn't really matter who. Consider what we did to Sadaam. We took over his country, killed his children, confiscated his money, evicted him and his family from his homes, drove into exile most of his family, imprisoned his friends, and eventually hanged his skanky ass.
These activities were bound to have a chilling effect on his brother bum-wads!
It's hard to prove a negative, but in the decade before 9-11, U.S. interests were attacked once or twice a year: WTC-one, Kobar Towers, USS Cole, embassy bombings, attempted assassination of the president, etc. In the seven years since 9-11, there has not been one single terrorist attack in the U.S. or against U.S. interests anywhere in the world.
There have been other benefits. Virtually every leader in the combat arms, from sergeant up to Lt General has, by now, commanded forces in combat. Now, we have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit, and the best men in the world. You know, by God, I actually pity those poor bastards we're going up against. By God, I do. We're not just going to shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy ... bastards by the bushel.
"the_tool_man" wrote

I was overseas. I remember my apartment manger coming to the door of every American renting there, in full ceremonial gear to express his sorrow. It was the day they let us back in port (we were all pulled in shipboard and sent out for a week or so to sit in the harbor, ready to deploy imediately).
I was in tears, having finally gotten the list of the dead at the pentagon. I knew several of them quite well. Workmates.
We thanked the manager most well, and he had not realized some of us were just getting word of our dead friends that day.

Those friends now have a Memorial, dedicated today. A bench, a tree and a water feature for each victim. Age 3 to 71.

Just got out of bed and turn on the TV set. Couldn't believe my eyes that someone could do this to us. Should have gotten Bin Laden by now, maybe McCain finish the job if we let him.
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:10:15 -0700, Frank <x> wrote:

Doubtful. All the republicans have been doing for the last 7 years is actively recruiting for al qaeda. Diverting most of out resources into an irrelevent country was a stroke of genius. Maybe we can start another war or two, perhaps iran and syria. That'll really teach al qaeda, based from saudia arabia and afganistan, a lesson.
With any luck, we can do full trillion dollar yearly deficits and bankrupt the federal govt. once and for all.
on 9/11/2008 4:10 PM Frank said the following:

We are probably the only nation on earth that has rules of engagement. In Iraq, a US soldier has to get permission to shoot someone on a roof with an AK47 in his hands.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
wrote Re Re: September 11:

We need those rules in order to lose.
It's what or politocos are best at.
Frank wrote:

I just finished Douglas Feith's new book, "War and Decision." In was never a primary goal of the Bush administration to "get" Ben Laden. Bringing the head perp "to justice" is a law enforcement tactic; the Bush administration, conversely, viewed the conflict as a war, not a crime, with the single goal of preventing another attack on the U.S. or U.S. interests. To that end, they concentrated on defeating the enemy by disrupting communications, cutting off financing, destroying enemy resources such as training facilities and equipment, attrition of warriors, discouraging other states from being sponsors of terrorism, etc.
Killing ben Laden would be nice, but few movements or wars are ever won by decapitating the leadership.
In my view, "getting" ben Laden would be among the WORST thing that could be done. With him "brought to justice," there would be agitation to return to the status quo, to curtail or eliminate the war on terror.
I'm Over it. You should be too
On Sep 11, 12:46pm, "Stormin Mormon"

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:15:30 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

People are still not over Pear Harbor.
How do you get over/forget so fast?

Pearl Harbor still bothers me. The vast majority of those who died in the WTC would be alive if they left their cubicles and left the building!!!! Who stays in a building that has been hit by a plane?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:11:09 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How did you figure this out?
Elevators don't work, crowded stairwells, and Security telling folks just to go back to work! Some went up and never came home!
SO! How do you get over this? Specific to the attack upon our nation?!
"security telling peopel to go back to work" ??? Sorry but unless loaded weapons are pointed at me I'm leaving any building that has been hit by a plane or one next to one that has been hit by a plane!!!!! What can they do? Fire Me? A minor stampede would clear stairwells. Greed my friend killed most of them. The second tower could have been mostly empty by the time the second plane hit and only those on the affected floors and above would have been in jeopardy. No one with a brain listens to "experts"- most recently Gustav shows that the experts are not always right.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:07:31 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Find ME one greedy person that day! I beg you.
Several Thousand were too busy making money for someone else to think of their families and selves first. Otherwise, they would have went for a "smoke break" and left the buildings. Then when the second plane hit they'd have said "I'm outta here" and headed home.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:54:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm waiting for one person named. Begging for the greedy one you mention.
That first plane may have felt like a simple earthquake, but you don't know, nor was you there. Nor can you explain to me how you would act, if you just happened to be there. You had no bearing on the incident, nor can I write an Incident Report.
Truth is your ass would have been scared, just best I can tell.... Ass so tight we can't drive a nail up there.
Never mind!
on 9/11/2008 5:11 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

The people who were told by the dispatchers to stay where they were, help was on the way.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY