September 11

Page 1 of 3

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I was home working (self-employed) and my furnace was having its annual cleaning. The guy got a phone call from his son, who lives in NYC, so he came upstairs and we turned on the TV. We saw the second plane hit, live. It was unbelievable.

I was on a comercial jet. We were ordered to land. No idea what was happening.

I was home asleep. Got a call from work saying we were "under attack" and to turn on the news. The Air Force base I worked on was going to Defcon 1 (?). Machine gun nest and barricades were set up all around the base. I had to carry a suitcase of clothing, etc., in the vehicle as we didn't know when we would be allowed on or off the base.
jim wrote:

One of the most fascinating conversations took place when the head man at the FAA said: "This shit stops right now. ATC-Zero.* Nationwide."
The most amazing thing followed 9-11 when the government committees, agencies, and know-it-alls tried to come up with codified procedures to follow should something similar happen in the future. You won't believe what they decided. They concluded that no procedure that they could envision would be as effective as those the ad hoc decisions, made on the fly by people intimately involved with the day to day operations. The result? No conclusion, no procedures, no chain of command, no recommendations. Just do your best.
Amazing that something so profound could originate from a government commission.
On the other hand, I can think of another. I learned to day that the agency in charge of the Pentagon disaster relief was - wait for it now - the Arlington Virginia fire department! That's right. There were some big footprint agencies around: the FBI and the DOD to name two, but they deferred to this municipal fire department. For eleven days, until all the fires were out.
Maybe emergencies bring out the best in people.
--
ATC-Zero = all planes on the ground. At that time, there were about 4,300
commercial airliners aloft.

Pretty much right where I am now: Sitting at my computer. I had just turned the TV on in time to see the second plane hit.

Working on my computer at home like I'm doing right now. I was listening to the radio and heard them announce about the first hit. I thought "..some air traffic controller is going to get hung out for this.." and continued working. Then I heard about the second hit and I thought "something is wrong here.."
I grew up in NYC and was about 18 years old when the WTC was being built; but I now live in a fairly rural area. We don't have a TV, so I got into my car and drove 5 miles into the nearest town where there is a McDonalds that has a TV. I watched the collapse of the towers from there.

ditto.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
on 9/11/2008 12:46 PM Stormin Mormon said the following:

Sitting right here in front of my computer with CNN news on the TV off to my right. The regular news was interrupted by the first plane strike. I watched CNN until the second tower fell, cutting off CNN (CNN was being broadcast from the antenna on the second tower). Thereafter I watched one of the local NY news channels whose antenna was on the Empire State Building.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

On watch in Radio, USS Fort McHenry, Sasebo Japan. Base went to immediate wartime alert with full recall. Japanese ships as well with us (combined base).

First. Thank You for your service!!
All building entrances on Nellis AFB, NV was posted with DEFCON 1 (?) posters. I kept one to remind of this day, seven years ago.
"Oren" wrote

Welcome! I'm at the last bit before retirement. 26 years come May 2009. USN Senior Chief (E8 for other branches)

We locked down *hard* overseas. It was 3 years (yes YEARS) later when Sasebo allowed taxis onbase at all. That with drivers who had security clearances. Heck, I'm still in cycle for my weapons quals (good for a year) for M50, 25MM, and 9MM.
All our feelings back then were (excuse my french), 'come fuck with ME asshole! I am armed, loaded, and WILL take you OUT'.
It's also got a more polite name. 'Hard Target'. The guy on sleep at the post is who a terrorist will hit. We learned to have more guards, more training, and just did not put up with any shennanigans at all.
Yes, I was on watch that day. The Navy wording is 'I stood the watch'. Soon I will turn this over to my younger mates.

I don't speak French, but you can send those swabbies over to the Army!
Army Infantry "green maggots" gets it done. (GRIN)
In front the TV

I had just stepped out of the shower in my hotel room and turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit. I was visiting Las Vegas for a trade show. All I wanted to do was get home (South Carolina). Once we realized that flights would not resume for several more days, we got on a waiting list for a rental car. We ended up getting the last car on the Alamo lot. We left on Wednesday afternoon and drove straight through, with the three of us taking 4-hour shifts behind the wheel. With one exception we stopped only for drive-thru food, gas and the bathroom. It took 35 hours and 45 minutes to get home.
I remember the anger and fear that I experienced for days after the attack. I also remember the good feelings that came with seeing all the "God bless America" signs along the interstates all the way home. It was an uneasy mixture of emotions, but I remember feeling confident that we would bring justice to those who committed this terrible act. It is a shame that so many have forgotten what those days felt like. We wouldn't be arguing about Afganistan and Iraq today if we didn't have such a short collective memory.
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:03:41 -0700 (PDT), the_tool_man

Sadly, that's very true.

What on earth does Iraq have to do with 9/11?

don't know if these are all current;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/alqaida/story/0,12469,1241646,00.html http://www.channelone.com/news/2004/06/19/ap_putin / http://www.techcentralstation.com/092503F.html http://www.nationalreview.com/mccarthy/mccarthy200406170840.asp
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jonahgoldberg/jg20050722.shtml
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/salman_pak.htm
http://nationalreview.com/levin/levin200511181121.asp
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/378fmxyz . asp
http://nationalreview.com/murdock/murdock200512211625.asp http://nationalreview.com/murdock/murdock200601130811.asp
http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/WThomasSmithJr/2006/01/16/182446.ht ml
http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_idD65
(Saddam WMD/AlQaida) http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/3/26/185610.shtml
http://nationalreview.com/murdock/murdock200604100727.asp
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik beat me to it, but clearly the answer to your question is "a lot". In his address following the attack, President Bush said that anyone harboring or giving aid to terrorists would be considered an enemy in the war against terror.
BTW, thanks for proving my point about how quickly some people forget.
wrote in message news:0d7cd68b-

Bzzt, no, but thanks for playing. Conservative plonkers. You so don't get it. Just because Faux News says something, it doesn't make it true. Idiots like you are why Republicans keep getting "elected" (or are able to steal the office).