separate oil from water?

I have a small quantity of some mystery oil (from a manometer), that's gotten a water bubble sitting in the bottom of it. I need to get the water out. There's only about a tsp or two of oil, so I can't afford to waste any in the process. I'm thinking this would mean a filter or membrane-ish thing that wouldn't absorb any of the oil.
Any ideas appreciated.
George

Try letting it settle out in a vial and them pouring off the oil. Or sucking the water out with a hypodermic needle. Many manometers use a silicone oil for stability. You'd probably have to buy a quart of it though.

syringe to the bottom into the water bubble.
George wrote:

Heat it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Absolutely the best way to get out the water. And to expand on that notion, do it carefully in a microwave. Most instrument oils are non polar compounds that are slightly affected or even unaffected by microwaves, so the water should vaporize nicely. Use a low setting to avoid too rapid steam formation that could cause spattering.
Joe
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:25:49 -0400, George wrote:

Would the corner of a paper towel work to absorb the water? Or how about one of those tiny straws for stirring coffee? Capillary action should be sufficient to remove a few drops of water.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Siphon the tsp or two of oil and water up with a turkey baster. Expel into a cup, siphon the oil off and leave the water. Buy the bride a new turkey baster.
Adapt as necessary.
George wrote:

dioxide through it. If you can get a very small piece of dry ice that will provide the CO2; perhaps shaking the oil with a bit of dry ice. Make sure you don't add condensed water from the air because the dry ice will be cold.
Water dissolves very well in CO2. I've used it often with microstructures to remove water when filling them with other liquid materials.