sent 7 posts by mistake

I just sent 7 posts by mistake, from the Draft mailbox. Never happened in 20 years with the other version of Agent, which didn't even have a draft mailbox, but this version is a problem.

I don't know if they were worthwhile posts or not. Either they weren't done or I hadn't decided to send them, but they still might be interesting. I don't remember. They're all stamped 3:32AM EST.

Reply to
Micky

Never drink and operate a computer.

Reply to
Bud Doobie

They weren't. It was deja vu all over again.

Reply to
rbowman

SHAME ON YOU

I have tried newer versions of Agent and never liked them. Too much unneeded junk (bloat) and they changed the whole menu which really confuses me. I just use this old version (2.0) and it works fine.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Indeed. Most importantly from my pov they changed what cntl-tab does. I"m told v4.2 is like 1.93 in this regard.

What OS? You may need to know what follows when you get later than XP.

I was happy using v1.93 and XP, until one day, starting the computer or maybe unhibernating, everything was fouled up. Trying again and again made it worse each time**.

A friend had upgraded his business and given me one of three Vista Office computers that had become surplus, so I moved to it (temporarily). At that point, I connected the XP drive as an external, non-system drive and found files missing, including most Windows files. I still don't know how this happened, but this time I had 3 backups (instead of the usual none.) No evidence of a virus in any backup, though it occurs to me now that I should do another scan before trying to use an entire backup to go back to XP.

But my Agent files and my Eudora files and all my data files were still there, in the orginal and all the backups.

Copied over all of 1.93 to Vista and everything was fine for 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden, it didn't work. Not the copy I was using or any of the other copies! I was forced to go to version 6, which I had paid for years earlier, but like you, didn't like. (I used it for the Firefox ng only.)

I asked on several ng's, googled like crazy but found no solution for

10 weeks, and then by chance found an old Forte-Agent thread (by penn or maybe pennywise) that disclosed the problem.

The short answer is that the problem was Data Execution Prevention (DEP), something which XPSP3 has too but never caused a problem.

In Win7, and probably 8 and 10, goto System Properties / Performance /Settings / Data Execution Prevention (DEP) / Add....

In Vista, the path is a little different System Properties / Advanced Tab / Peformance and from there it's the same.

Clicking on the tab I see that DEP is already On for me, though I never set it, and it must have been Off for the first 3 weeks. And it has no exceptions.

I added exceptions for two copies of Agent.exe (which are only exceptions for copies in their specified location), to NOT be covered by DEP.

Reply to
Micky

Actually 8, I think.

By chance, I had an appt. with the urologist today. He pretty much said the same thing you did.

Reply to
Micky

Normally, I'm either running XP or Win98. I dont use (or want) anything newer than XP.

What do you expect, its VISTA. (Piece of crap). Agent 1.93 and 2.0 are real similar. I dont know what differences there are, except 1.93 was free. I paid for 2.0 years ago. If I want to use it on another computer, I just copy the whole folder, and it's then registered, and all my subscribed groups and filters are intact.

I have tried the demo versions of Agent 4.x (maybe 3.x if there was one), and either 5.x or 6.x. All of them changed the menu. After using this one for close to 20 years, I just find it too hard to change. I get pissed because I keep hitting the wrong menu items. I'm happy with 2.0 and if it works, dont fix it....

Of all the operating systems, I still like Win98 the best too. I'm using it right now. But there are no longer any web browsers that work properly for 98, so I have to use XP for any serious web browsing, or at least Win2000, but that too has limited browsers.

I pretty much only have 2000 installed (on my 98 machine) so I can use my 500GB or 1TB USB drives to do backups. 98 wont run them.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Maybe the three-week delay had something to do iwith Vista (though I doubt it) but other than, I don't think it was any flaw in Vista. I think you'll face the same problem in 7, 8, or 10, and like it or not, I think we'll both have to upgrade from XP some day.

There was Free Agent and Agent. I paid for my copy so it had more features.

I had 98 and XP at the same time, but i don't miss 98 anymore .

Reply to
Micky

Do you compact it? I do that daily and it always works. I tend to save a lot of old messages too, so it can get slow if I dont compact it.

I'd be lost without 98. It always works flawlessly and never crashes. XP tends to do strange things at times, like it will freeze up for awhile and it gets slower after a few years. Plus it takes a long time to get rid of all the crap in XP, after I reinstall it. If I was to upgrade to anything, it would be Win7. Anything above that has no interest to me. I'd like to try 7, before I actually use it, which is not a big deal, since I have a spare computer that I use for storage, but I'd just change the hard drive to test out 7, and I have spare drives, even if they are a bit small.

By the way, it's usually the newer versions of Firefox that causes XP to act weird.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Answering just this part for now.

Maybe, but the new versions also have good features.

The latest is an indication on the tab of where the noise is coming from, and the ability to turn it off by clicking on the speaker icon, in the tab or in the All Tabs list at the right end of the tab bar.

Reply to
Micky

Uncle M....TMI :-?

Reply to
Eagle

Micky formulated the question :

Knock the poison off before going to action and no worries. ^^

Reply to
Eagle

I let it compact automatically when it wants to. Lately I haven't been deleting much so it doesn't want to.

But this certainly isn't why it didnt' work in Vista. That was DEP.

Seem way more often than necessary.

Indeed Agent often runs slower than normal, but I don't compact and later it's back to running fast again.

It used to crash for me more often then XP. I don't know why.

I don't think Vista has fully crashed yet. Something-explorer has crashed but it restarts and, though that takes a while, things are actually better then. But Vista has annoying things. Some say the lack of drivers, but I'm using a standard old monitor, standard old speakers, a usb hdd dock, and a wireless printer, so I don't think drivers had any chance of being a problem.

MOst annoying at first, and even now, even that I know it will happen, is long periods when the screen is black. On start up, shut down, and when I say cntl-alt-delete it goes black for a while, twice. The first time or two these things happen, it's like the OS has crashed.

7 is supposed to be better, but I don't know if I'm going back to XP or on to 7.

I've never reinstalled an OS, except on a friend's laptop after she was virus infected.

Reply to
Micky