Sensor Faucets for Sinks

Is it just me, or does everyone cuss at these sensor faucets they put in public restrooms? They're a major pain in the ass. You got to dance around to get your hands in the right place, and sometimes switch to another sink because one just wont work. In my opinion, they're a friggin joke, and should be labelled as one of the most stupid and useless inventions of the decade. What was wrong with the old spring back handles that shut off when you let go of the handle? Sometimes I think they make this junk just to see how far they can push a person before the person has an emotional breakdown.... All I wanted to do was rince off my hands !!!!

Reply to
jw

Hmmm... well for one thing, they're one less thing to worry about contracting who knows what disease from.

Much the same deal with sensor activated toilets, paper towel dispensers, hand blowers, and doorless restrooms.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

When you flush the toilet, put your hands in there and let the swirling water rince your hands. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Our office building is full of them. I know the sinks ones use batteries. Not sure about the toilet ones. Batteries get low they quit working. I'm not sure why they don't charge from the water flow.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You big dummy! It's for the children!

Reply to
HeyBub

And there's no temperature or flow control. Good luck trying to rinse off a contact lens.

If they wanted to avoid the spread of germs, they should make foot- operated faucets.

Reply to
mike

The technology exists. I took apart a Bosch tank-less water heater once and found a little paddle wheel generator that produced power whenever there was water flow. A super capacitor or rechargeable battery could keep the sink operating between charges.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I didn't know there were batteries in them. That's even worse. They save a little water but pollute the environment with more batteries. Batteries can not be recycled, they just keep polluting in the landfills.

Reply to
jw

Until you have to grab the door handle to pull the door in so you can leave.

Yeah, I know, keep the paper towel (if there are any) in your hand so you don't contact the door handle, then try and score two points by chucking it into the waste receptical before the door hits you in the ass..

Personally, I think if it wuz that easy to contract those who knows whats we'd all have died long ago.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Several years ago, the city sent out a guy to modify my natural gas meter to one that can be read remotely via radio from the street.[1]

I let him in, and watched as he did the mod. I asked about battery replacements, and he claimed the unit charges itself utilizing gas flow... but who knows. It sure didn't look to me like anything he did came remotely close to areas of actual gas flow.

Erik

[1] Many of the gas meters in this area are behind locked gates... bad planning, and a real pain for the gas co. When they started modifying meters, they rushed to do the locked in meters first, then leisurely finished the rest later. I heard they're just now completing the project.

Along the same lines, most, if not all remaining older homes in the area were built with their electric meter and fuse box inside, up on the laundry room wall. They're now on a big kick of replacing those meters with the remote reading variety.

It sure is nice not having to wait around for the meter reader people anymore. The alternative was to trust them with keys...

Reply to
Erik

I've seen those before, but not for years. Not a bad idea IMHO. Not many more moving parts than a regular faucet, and no damned electronics.

nate

Reply to
N8N

jeff_wisnia wrote in news:i82to5$co1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I use my foot to stop the door.

It's easy enough to contract cold and flu virii from such door handles.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I'd say that pretty much holds for ANY door handle, not just on rest room doors, wouldn't you?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Oh, BS. We have several people in the office who do the towel dance leaving the can on their way to lunch, but think nothing of pressing their naked finger on the elevator button 20 feet away to go up to the cafeteria, just like the guy before them who didn't even wash his hands did. It is a neurotic twitch, nothing more. Keep your eyes on the Mythbusters listings- in one sequence 3-4 seasons ago, that actually approached real science, with controls and everything, they did swabs of various locations in the bathroom and around the shop/office, and grew them in petri dishes. The can was cleaner than the telephones and such were.

Reply to
aemeijers

Then, snarl, turn green, and break the door down like the Incredible Hulk. You won't need to rince off your hands. Nor rinse them, either.

Rince: What a chinaman does to remove starch before serving rice. By gosh, I've invented a sniglet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Spray the door handle with gasoline, and you won't get wasps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

That's linse your hands!

Pee on your hands...it's an antiseptic! (unless you have a UTI)

Reply to
Bob Villa

I understand urine is sterile, does that mean it can't reproduce? If that's so, why do I pee so much?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

jeff_wisnia wrote in news:i8316e$p8m$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

sure. but restrooms have high traffic,and many people don't wash their hands after using the facilities. That's the part I don't like. possible e.coli contamination,among other things.

Reply to
Jim Yanik