Senate Moves To Allow Military To Intern Americans Without Trial

You Americans are so screwed.

You're screwing yourselves.

Remember what I said about "you couldn't pay me enough to live in the states" ?

A pack of gorrillas flash-robbing a 7-11 in the DC area is nothing compared to this.

===============================

Senate Moves To Allow Military To Intern Americans Without Trial

NDAA detention provision would turn America into a ?battlefield?

Paul Joseph Watson Monday, November 28, 2011

The Senate is set to vote on a bill today that would define the whole of the United States as a ?battlefield? and allow the U.S. Military to arrest American citizens in their own back yard without charge or trial.

?The Senate is going to vote on whether Congress will give this president?and every future president ? the power to order the military to pick up and imprison without charge or trial civilians anywhere in the world. The power is so broad that even U.S. citizens could be swept up by the military and the military could be used far from any battlefield, even within the United States itself,? writes Chris Anders of the ACLU Washington Legislative Office.

Under the ?worldwide indefinite detention without charge or trial? provision of S.1867, the National Defense Authorization Act bill, which is set to be up for a vote on the Senate floor this week, the legislation will ?basically say in law for the first time that the homeland is part of the battlefield,? said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who supports the bill.

The bill was drafted in secret by Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.), before being passed in a closed-door committee meeting without any kind of hearing. The language appears in sections 1031 and

1032 of the NDAA bill.

?I would also point out that these provisions raise serious questions as to who we are as a society and what our Constitution seeks to protect,? Colorado Senator Mark Udall said in a speech last week. One section of these provisions, section 1031, would be interpreted as allowing the military to capture and indefinitely detain American citizens on U.S. soil. Section 1031 essentially repeals the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 by authorizing the U.S. military to perform law enforcement functions on American soil. That alone should alarm my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, but there are other problems with these provisions that must be resolved.?

This means Americans could be declared domestic terrorists and thrown in a military brig with no recourse whatsoever. Given that the Department of Homeland Security has characterized behavior such as buying gold, owning guns, using a watch or binoculars, donating to charity, using the telephone or email to find information, using cash, and all manner of mundane behaviors as potential indicators of domestic terrorism, such a provision would be wide open to abuse.

?American citizens and people picked up on American or Canadian or British streets being sent to military prisons indefinitely without even being charged with a crime. Really? Does anyone think this is a good idea? And why now?? asks Anders.

The ACLU is urging citizens to call their Senator and demand that the Udall Amendment be added to the bill, a change that would at least act as a check to prevent Americans being snatched off the streets without some form of Congressional oversight.

We have been warning for over a decade that Americans would become the target of laws supposedly aimed at terrorists and enemy combatants. Alex Jones personally documented how U.S. troops were being trained to arrest U.S. citizens in the event of martial law during urban warfare training drills back in the 90?s. Under the the National Defense Authorization Act bill, no declaration of martial law is necessary since Americans would now be subject to the same treatment as suspected insurgents in places like Afghanistan and Iraq.

If you thought that the executive assassination of American citizens abroad was bad enough, now similar powers will be extended to the ?homeland,? in other words, your town, your community, your back yard.

Reply to
Home Guy

What's the big deal? During WW2 we had thousands of American citizens held in POW camps throughout the country (we 16 or so POW camps just in my state). There they stayed, without access to American courts, until repatriated to their home country.

The last of the German POWs were repatriated from England in 1948, three years after the conflict ended. Some, including William Joyce, famously known as Lord Haw Haw, were hanged for treason. Russia kept some German POWs until 1956!

These POWs were, in the main, holders of dual citizenship although there were a few who fought on the side of the Axis out of conviction rather than nationality.

If you participate in an armed conflict, you may suffer the consequences should you be captured by the opposing side.

Citizenship is irrelevant on the battlefield.

Reply to
HeyBub

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Here we go again. Using Infowars as a source for this is the first obvious red flag as they are loons who believe in every wild conspiracy theory under the sun, including that 911 was a govt job. Second is that there is that the article does not quote what is actually in the legislation.

A quick google produces this:

"(a) Custody Pending Disposition Under Law of War-

(1) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in paragraph (4), the Armed Forces of the United States shall hold a person described in paragraph (2) who is captured in the course of hostilities authorized by the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40) in military custody pending disposition under the law of war.

(2) COVERED PERSONS- The requirement in paragraph (1) shall apply to any person whose detention is authorized under section 1031 who is determined--

(A) to be a member of, or part of, al-Qaeda or an associated force that acts in coordination with or pursuant to the direction of al- Qaeda; and

(B) to have participated in the course of planning or carrying out an attack or attempted attack against the United States or its coalition partners.

(3) DISPOSITION UNDER LAW OF WAR- For purposes of this subsection, the disposition of a person under the law of war has the meaning given in section 1031(c), except that no transfer otherwise described in paragraph (4) of that section shall be made unless consistent with the requirements of section 1033.

(4) WAIVER FOR NATIONAL SECURITY- The Secretary of Defense may, in consultation with the Secretary of State and the Director of National Intelligence, waive the requirement of paragraph (1) if the Secretary submits to Congress a certification in writing that such a waiver is in the national security interests of the United States.

(b) Applicability to United States Citizens and Lawful Resident Aliens-

(1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.

(2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

So first in only applies to Al-Qaeda that have participated in planning attacks on the USA Second, it specifically excluded US citizens.

Unless there is something else somewhere in this legislation, Infowars is flat out lying. The fact that the short section was never quoted suggests that is exactly what they are doing.

Reply to
trader4

Too bad none of this gonna happen. If you bothered to actually READ the law, detained and detention show up less than 30 times in the bill. The only two times either one shows up where they are not talking specifically about people at Gitmo is when they are talking about counseling, etc., for our people who are detained by others.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

not true. There were "concentration camps" filled with thousands of American Citizens, but the did have access to American Courts (just search on those brave few who refused to be drafted). There were absolutely zero POW camps that held American Citizens in the USA during WW2

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

aw, political correctness and my mind farts

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

(...)

I did grab a pdf copy of this 682-page bill, and read the sections that you quoted.

I agree there appears to be a specific exclusion for US citizens, but still there is mention of the Udal amendment, which has been described by the ACLU as:

=========== The Udall amendment would strip sections 1031 and 1032 from the bill and in their place, mandate a process for Congress to use to consider whether any detention legislation is needed. If enacted, sections 1031 and 1032 of the NDAA would:

(1) Explicitly authorize the federal government to indefinitely imprison without charge or trial American citizens and others picked up inside and outside the United States;

(2) Mandate military detention of some civilians who would otherwise be outside of military control, including civilians picked up within the United States itself; and

(3) Transfer to the Department of Defense core prosecutorial, investigative, law enforcement, penal, and custodial authority and responsibility now held by the Department of Justice. ==========

I'm also not sure how to read section 1031 to see if it essentially does repeal the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 by authorizing the U.S. military to perform law enforcement functions on American soil.

The way I read some of this bill, it does seem to give self-authorization for the US military to conduct operations across the entire globe to "go after" terrorists in such a way that removed the typical requirement of "declaring war" on a given country in order to deposit troops into said country. There does not seem to be a distinction between inside and outside US territory in this regard.

This is the law that presumably should have been in place before US troops entered deep into Pakistan to "extract" bin laden. Perhaps there is some retro-activity contemplated within these 682 pages.

Of course, the legitamacy of one country enshrining in it's own laws the legal authority to place it's military in any country unilaterally to conduct this or that type of activity has got to be the height of arrogance and beligerance.

Reply to
Home Guy

You must live in a fantasy world. Over 400,000 German soldiers were held in American POW camps, plus a similar number of Italians and a smaller number of Japanese. You either believe that none held U.S. citizenship or that enemy soldiers captured on the battlefield who turned out to be Americans were told "Go forth and sin no more!"

No POW ever had access to American civilian courts.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Joe

400k germans held in POW camps in Europe - not on US soil.

There are Geneva conventions about combatants wearing uniforms and their rights therein - I would suppose that if you are captured in combat wearing the uniform of the enemy then you are treated as the enemy regardless what your legal citizenship is.

No POW probably ever set foot on US soil (while being a POW that is).

Reply to
Home Guy

Home Guy wrote: ==========

When taken together, all 3 of the above is exactly what you need if you wanted to replicate the Guantanamo Bay detention facility within the United States - including the stripping of the jurisdiction of the federal courts from said facility.

This is really an acknowledgement that the powers-that-be don't really want to close Guantanamo Bay. They just want to move it to US territory but still keep it outside the reach of the judicial system.

Sort of like how the situation is now at airports. Your rights are stripped from you and the courts are unsure of their jurisdiction.

Reply to
Home Guy

Joe - you're right. This has nothing to do with home repair.

When I come across a thread in a newsgroup that I want to essentially "disappear" from my screen every time I access the group, I will right-click on any post within that thread and select "ignore thread". They will all immediately change from BOLD to un-bold to make them less visually distinct so that I can more easily identify new posts from other threads that I may want to read, and every time I access the newsgroup in the future, those posts will automatically "un-bold" themselves. I can do this because I'm using an actual usenet client (Netscape Communicator).

I realize that you are using Google Groups - which nobody should have to be tortured with as a way to experience usenet. So you perhaps don't have an easy way to make these posts disappear.

But I know - even if using a proper usenet client makes the off-topic posts more tolerable, it doesn't excuse their existance....

I will, shall we say - tone it down?

Reply to
Home Guy

One last post on this topic (from me anyways).

========= UPDATE:

Don?t be confused by anyone claiming that the indefinite detention legislation does not apply to American citizens. It does.

There is an exemption for American citizens from the mandatory detention requirement (section 1032 of the bill), but no exemption for American citizens from the authorization to use the military to indefinitely detain people without charge or trial (section 1013 of the bill).

So, the result is that, under the bill, the military has the power to indefinitely imprison American citizens, but it does not have to use its power unless ordered to do so. ===========

And this is not just American citizens caught or captured or intercepted outside of US soil.

This bill re-defines the "battle field" as the entire planet, including the USA.

Home Guy

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Our government has been doing this for centuries. During the 1800's we pushed our Native Americans into increasingly small reserve areas where they became more and more susceptible to diseases that ravaged their people. Through a series of lies and false treaties we stole reserve land from them and allowed settlers to squat on their land; and cut deals with railroads to shove them off of their ancestral lands. This caused poverty and starvation. The ones who objected were attacked and slaughtered, or driven, in mass, into reserves. We knew that as long as we labeled them properly ("savage", Barbarian, etc.) we could get away with all kinds of atrocities.

And no, I am not Native American. Irish on all for corners of my family.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

JimT

We had German POW's here in Alabamastan during WWII, funny thing, we now have a Mercedes Benz factory. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

..........No POW probably ever set foot on US soil (while being a POW that is). ........

Google broken up north?

Reply to
DD_BobK

.......One last post on this topic from Home Guy? .......

an admission of "oops!" I guess there were a LOT of POW's on US soil during WWII

Reply to
DD_BobK

maybe before the republicans institutionalized it as an item to accuse others of when they felt too uncomfortable with the public realizing what was happening

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Then you should have absolutely no problem providing us with either a list of those "citizens" or at the very least a cite from some reputable entity quantifying these Americans.

My comment was addressed to the issue of Japanese in internment camps

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds