Semi-OT: Went to an auction

Page 1 of 3
The company auctioning home furnishing and the like has an interesting business model:
When someone doesn't pay their rent or mortgage, a court order is issued evicting them. Officers of the court show up with some really big guys from this storage company. The storage company guys box up all the small stuff and haul the contents of the dwelling off to the storage company.
After 45 days, they sell the stuff to recoup their storage fees.
Let your imagination run amok at the items in this 55,000 sq ft warehouse. Some of the more interesting items:
* A 1979 Corvette, with 21,000 miles, that was the pace car for the 1979 Indy 500 (priced at $15,000) * Rolling tool boxes full of crappy tools (one drawer had, maybe, 150 loose sockets) * Over 2,000 CDs and DVDs. * A 3x3x3' box chock-a-block full of costume jewelry (sold for $40) * A half-dozen (seemingly) new computers sold for $80 * Ordinary sofas whose top bid was $10-$20. * A 2' tall plaster bust of Chester A. Arthur with curly hair. Or maybe a Greek god. Thirty bucks. * At least fifty 2x2x2' boxes full of toys - stuffed animals, legos, etc. The whole collection went for $50.
I could go on, but there were several interesting observations: * There were only about 20 people at the auction. * The company had a cat roaming the warehouse, about two months old. The cat was found as a wee kitten inside of a confiscated sofa! Whether it grows up to be a good mouser only time will tell. * Most interesting to me was their business model. Their only variable expense was three guys and a truck.
Aside: The owner told me that during their first month of business, he came across a good-looking watch that didn't work. He threw it in a drawer and forgot about it. Some months later he had occasion to go to a jeweler and took the watch.
"Put a new battery in this, please," he requested of the jeweler.
The jeweler looked at him as if he had eaten a bug. "This watch doesn't HAVE a battery. It's a Patek Phillipe. You have your manservant or batsman wind it once a week."
He now wears a $17,000 watch.
I don't know who winds it.

auction hunters tv show covers this..........
a local friend who works at a large storage facility reports little of value is normally found. people remove the good stuff before the bins are auctioned off.
he believes most discoveries are planted as part of the show.....
On 10/18/2011 7:55 AM, bob haller wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like heybub found a really bad but cheap to make TV show and made it into one of his trademark bizarre stories.
I believe the other similar really bad show is called "storage wars" I actually managed to watch about 3 minutes of an episode.

Storage wars makes it clear that you can't directly purchase a vehicle at these auctions

Are _supposed_ to be reported. It's not like 'they' would know, or like all people always do what they're supposed to do.
On Oct 18, 2:27pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

I don't know that what HeyRube was talking about is the same as a storage auction. He was talking about a court ordered eviction. Maybe the rules are the same, and maybe they're not, but I think we can all agree that most of the time nobody knows what the hell HeyRube is talking about. ;)
RicodJour wrote:

I recommend you tone it down a notch. I don't think you'll find it rewarding to get into a verbal war with me.

I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an armless man. :)~
Lighten up, this is Usenet - nobody takes it seriously. Ask your ISP.
RicodJour wrote:

Oh, I don't mind what others think of me. I'm immune. I do, however, take a dim view of being insulted, held up to ridicule, called a liar or fabricator.
A couple of times now you've claimed my stories are incredible. Let me tell you another one.
In the summer of A.D. 66, Emperor Nero was enjoying a season of games in Greece when the news of the Jewish uprising reached him. He appointed the only general in attendance with the task of suppressing this revolt. The general, Flavius Vespasian, had earlier successfully invaded the Isle of Wight (his only real military accomplishment).
Vespasian set about his task with a vengence. He marched to Judea with a large army, gathering more as he went. He reached the Galilee in early spring of A.D. 67. His first objective was a small town of Jatapa. He first surrounded the town. Then he built giant siege engines.
The leader of the Jews in the northern Galilee was a young man named Joseph ben Matthias. Ben Matthias lost the first battle against the Romans and he and about forty followers took refuge in a nearby cave. The Romans insisted that ben Matthias and his followers surrender, but ben Matthias convinced his men to commit suicide by drawing lots. As luck would have it, ben Matthias himself drew the last lot and promptly surrendered.
Vespasian took a liking to the young man and had ben Matthias accompany him on his campaign of defeating the rebels in Jerusalem.
By this time, Nero had committed suicide, the empire was in a turmoil (the "The Year of the Four Emperors"). In digust of the upheaval, the Army appointed Vespasian as the successor to Nero. Vespasian returned to Rome, leaving his son, Titus, to tidy up the rebellion in Judea.
Eventually Titus returned to Rome with a Triumph - and he took the young ben Matthias with him. In fact, Vespasian adopted ben Matthias as his son.
For his part, ben Matthias took Vespasian's family name of Flavius and Romanized his own name of Joseph.
As Flavius Josephus, he began writing the history of his interesting life.
Now I don't claim to have had as interesting life as Josephus, but I have had some adventures and a talent, so I've been told, of that of an amateur wordsmith. If you don't like my stories, then go read the one's you do like.
On 10/19/2011 5:19 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Even if it is just someone reporting their totally honest on target observations?

If you don't like my stories, then go read the one's you do like.
Just plonk the moron. You won't be missing much.
Steve

...to reason. Yes, that much is clear. :)~
harry is the village idiot and you're the class clown. That is not necessarily a bad thing, you can be entertaining, but are you the class clown that's a clown because they don't understand what's going on in class, or the class clown that's bored because they already know all of the stuff being taught? You're acting like the former, though the actual state of affairs may be closer to the latter. It's not my fault you like being silly, Bub.

If someone posts a ridiculous opinion, they're begging to be ridiculed. I would be remiss if I let it go.
If someone makes shit up, they're begging to be called a liar. Though to be fair, I've never called you a liar.
The insulting thing I do for fun. I never said I was perfect. :)~

Isn't that the refrain of someone telling tall tales? "Let me tell you another one!" I don't have my handy dandy storytelling chart with me, so I'm a bit shaky on where embellishing a story to make a point becomes a complete fabrication. If it's just a story, I don't care if it's true or not, I just like a good story. But if someone is trying to make a point and creating supporting facts from whole cloth or filtering them through a highly-biased viewpoint, then it becomes an issue. Particularly on an open forum. I hadn't realized you were the sensitive type - if so, there are moderated forums that may suit your preferences better. Here we are both free to make a point or take issue with one. I think it's a dandy system.

I would be interested to hear those actual stories of yours, and am not so interested when you spew disinformation and skew your answers.
RicodJour wrote:

Show me one case of "spewed" disinformation (used to skew the answer or not), fool. Just one.
Oh I can be wrong, that's for sure. When someone points out a mistake of mine, I'm usually the first to acknowledge it. But when you claim I deliberately lie to press a point, that's insulting.
Best do so right away; I plan to remind you, thereby holding you up to the contempt and ridicule you so richly deserve.
Just one.

I'm not going to get any actual stories, huh?

As Wesley said in The Princess Bride, "As you wish."

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/fb1d66bc1aeb8a43/68cbce5b831ecd47?hl=en&q=bullshit#68cbce5b831ecd47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane#Toxicity
You only asked for the one cite, and there it is, but as I'm in a good mood, here's you copping to making stuff up - no one put words in your mouth.
http://groups.google.com/group/tx.guns/browse_thread/thread/7483432cf163599e/8954829948be0391?hl=en&q=make+stuff+up#8954829948be0391
Out of context...? It doesn't read that way to me.
Here's someone taking to you to task on a number of issues, and you were strangely silent - never replied. So much for acknowledging your mistakes.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.backcountry/browse_thread/thread/52337129caf8f2c6/c59a574202f0926?hl=en&q=Actually,+the+appeals+court+did+not+overturn+Jackson%27s+findings+of+fact#0c59a574202f0926
We both know I could do this all day, but it begins to bore me. I didn't want this job, you asked me to do it, so I did.

well, there is this:
Taken prisoner by Vespasian, Josephus presented himself as a prophet. Noting that the war had been propelled by an ancient oracle that foretold a world ruler would arise from Judaea, Josephus asserted that this referred to Vespasian, who was destined to become Emperor of Rome. Intrigued, Vespasian spared his life. When this prophecy came true, and Vespasian became Emperor, he rewarded Josephus handsomely, freeing him from his chains and eventually adopting him into his family, the Flavians. Josephus thus became Flavius Josephus.
http://www.ccel.org/j/josephus /
as opposed to your version:
"Vespasian took a liking to the young man and had ben Matthias accompany him on his campaign of defeating the rebels in Jerusalem."

He did change a few words...

there is a significant difference in the context of the story by those few words
On Oct 20, 2:40pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

Josephus himself wrote differing accounts of things at different points.

Sure, but I was just being cynical about the "incredible story" claimed to be authored by heybub...

I was being cynical about his claims that he didn't embellish