Semi-OT: Email Program

Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.

Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.

I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.

Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!

Snuffy

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

You will have lots of choices as to email client (most will also serve as your USENET/NNTP client, as well). I use Thunderbird but that's not really an endorsement of Tbird -- nor a slam against its rivals.

IMO, what you will have to consider more seriously is how you want to transition between the two. I.e., do you want to drag your "old" email ("inbox" as well as "sent") -- and USENET -- into the new program? Or, are you content with making it a "clean break"?

Reply to
Don Y

try?

burfordTjustice

Depends...

I am a Thunderbird user and have been for at least a decade. Prior to that I was using Eudora and some other "store boughten" 3rd party mail clients.

Thunderbird is, AFAIC, THE best mail client out there at any price and it's FREE.

Not saying that Outlook can't do the same - maybe it can, but will numerous users bitching about it's security problems, etc. why bother?

Thunderbird handles not only your email but will also sync with your calendar and handle newsgroups.

I've not found much that Thunderbird cannot handle and handle well.

Give it a try, the only thing you have to lose is the bit of time it takes for you to decide whether or not it's for you. It is, again, FREE!

Unquestionably Confused

I'm a long-time Thunderbird user too; it works for me.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.

Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.

I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.

Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!

Snuffy

----------

As an XP and OE user, I am a bit interested in your sob story.

Reply to
taxed and spent

I've been using OE for 16 years, it does what it says on the tin. You don't say what the problem is. XP is miles better than 2000, go for it! Thunderbird is a pain to set up.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If you have a choice of XP, W7, or W8, my personal opinion is that you should pick W7.

I have XP on two computers and it works fine for me, but it is no longer supported by Microsoft and that creates some security issues.

I also have W7 on several computers, and it works well. I did the free upgrade from W7 to W10 on a couple of them, and that works okay too.

I don't have W8 anywhere and I don't want it. W8 reminds me of Windows ME and Windows Vista -- both were "upgrades" or new versions and both were crap.

Reply to
TomR

... except it doesn't say that it works with Win 2000 < ? > John T.

hubops

works on win10 here... No install, unzip and use it.

Reply to
burfordTjustice

The only download that is a zip file it the Italian version.

The other versions are " .7z " file extensions ? that my computer will not recognize ... Unfortunate - I was hoping to go back to Outlook - Pegasus is a bit of a pain .. John T.

hubops

On 30 Oct 2015, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote in alt.home.repair:

I used Pegasus Mail

for decades on all Microsoft OSs from Windows 3.1 onward. I'm sure it will work with Windows 2000. It's a little quirky, and I don't like its IMAP implementation, but for POP3 it works very well. It has the best filtering features of any email client I've tried.

Nowadays I mostly use Thunderbird. I have a feeling it requires XP or later, but I'm not sure of that.

Reply to
Nil

If you want to try Thunderbird (which you should), AND you want to stay with Win 2000, you may need to use this Win 2000 compatible version.

Retired

I'm just about certain that Thunderbird has evolved beyond the pain to set up times. Its been a couple of years but I put it on my wife's computer to use when my machine was down. I recall it was quite simple.

Reply to
Frank

Double ditto's to that.

Reply to
Frank

On 30 Oct 2015, Frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thunderbird has a lot of options that can be set. That might confuse some people, but its defaults are reasonable so it should work for most right out of the box.

Reply to
Nil

My favorite is Thunderbird. I use it on a few different computers so I use Thunderbird Portable on a thumb drive. Easy to set up, easy to use. Free too.

Ed Pawlowski

I use Thunderbird on both Windows and Linux boxes. In addition to email it also can do newsgroups.

Reply to
rbowman

Thunderbird 38.3.0 requires XP SP2 or above. 12.0.1 is the last 2000 version:

rbowman

wrote in

A short sob story but a real pain.... I suspect that running out of hard disk space may have caused it. But after I freed up plenty of space again, the problem was not solved.

Incoming emails work fine. Outgoing emails also being sent as usual, but staying in the Outbox - not being moved to Sent Mail folder, and then repeatedly sent over and over until I move them manually to another folder.

After trying a few fixes, about half the time emails are sent normally and moved to Sent Mail. I don't see a pattern -- simple emails with no attachments sent to the same address sometimes go through and other times stay in the Outbox and sent repeatedly.

I tried several fixes -- deleting folders.dbx, moving all files from Inbox, Outbox, Sent Files, Deleted Items folders then closing OE and deleting those dbx files manually.

I'll check a few more things this weekend before giving up. Would be nice to keep the folders and not spend the time transferring to a new set-up.

You can read more of what led up to this point at microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general. Bruce has been a huge help and source of info. He also recommends Thunderbird, so that will be my first try if needed.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney