Semi-OT: Email Program

Page 3 of 5
On 10/31/2015 12:20 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

No security issues with XP? Seriously?
ROFLMAO!
Best troll ever!
Serge wrote:

Really ? I'm also an XP user , and I have no security issues - because I have good AV and AS software . It also helps if you don't troll places that are likely to try to ddownload a virus . And just where did Snuffy say he had no issues with XP ? He's using Win2000 , you idiot . -- Snag

I am still using XP and have no security issues with Win2000.

Win XP has had over 10 years to plug the security issues and still has problems. Just think how many that a newer system may have.
I gave up on worring about security issues years ago. I run a virus checker and sometimes other programs to check on the computer. I have an external hard drive and make up a backup of the computer every couple of months. Also the pictures and documents are backed up on CDs or DVDs. I usually have 2 or 3 computers around incase one of them craps out. Just get one off ebay for around $ 100 to $ 150 and keep both of them with about the same things on them.
On 10/31/2015 8:57 AM, Serge wrote:

Depends on how you use it. We have an XP computer at work for the past five years with no AV on it. Never had a problem. It sends an email a couple of times a day, no other internet access is needed or used.
In

I haven't had any security issues, but I read that since XP is no longer supported there can be security issues because there are no more security updates coming out for XP.
I was able to keep MSE antivirus, and maybe that helps.
My main point about choosing W7 over XP, if you have an option, is just that W7 works well and seems very stable (like XP always was), and W7 can still receive security updates and can be upgraded to W10 for free until July of 2016.
On 30 Oct 2015, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

I used Pegasus Mail (http://www.pmail.com /) for decades on all Microsoft OSs from Windows 3.1 onward. I'm sure it will work with Windows 2000. It's a little quirky, and I don't like its IMAP implementation, but for POP3 it works very well. It has the best filtering features of any email client I've tried.
Nowadays I mostly use Thunderbird. I have a feeling it requires XP or later, but I'm not sure of that.
On 10/30/2015 04:30 PM, Nil wrote:

Thunderbird 38.3.0 requires XP SP2 or above. 12.0.1 is the last 2000 version:
http://mozilla-thunderbird.software.informer.com/download/
Nil wrote:

I've run T-Bird since it came out. No issues except I don't like the tabbed mail so actually dug up an OLD version (2.0) to use. This version can run on pretty much any windows machine from an old 98 box to windows 10. No issues at all and setting it up is easy really.
--
Steve W.

On 10/30/15 2:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

If you want to try Thunderbird (which you should), AND you want to stay with Win 2000, you may need to use this Win 2000 compatible version.
http://www.oldapps.com/thunderbird.php?system=Windows_2000
On 10/30/2015 2:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

My favorite is Thunderbird. I use it on a few different computers so I use Thunderbird Portable on a thumb drive. Easy to set up, easy to use. Free too. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
On 10/30/2015 2:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I was totally pleased with the virus magnet OE, until some how my browser got updated, and that made OE no longer work. Window Live Mail was a PIA, and I went to Thunderbird. I don't much like it, but is some what functional.

Don't be afraid of Windows 7. It's actually very good and stable. I regret updating to Windows 10 recently though.
I switched from a client side email program to Gmail several years ago. Webmail is far more convenient and reliable than backing up the email fails myself. I can also check it anywhere, and since most of us use smartphones now it just makes way more sense.
On 10/31/2015 05:53 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I've had no problems with 7. Microsoft is really starting to annoy me though. I uninstalled all the Windows 10 related patches, his them, and so forth and the damn Windows 10 ad is back. I uninstalled KB whatever again.
Supposedly they're going to get even more persistent in the future.
rbowman wrote:

Already starting, the new updates for all windows flavors include the "Switch to Win 10" taskbar tag.
--
Steve W.

Someone mentioned Thunderbird for Windows 2000. I can't find that posting and also can't find a verision that works on 2000 on the thunderbird website. Any help appreciated!
in message Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Snuffy

Try here

wrote in message Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Try Thunderbird 12.
Snuffy

Thanks again! I checked the old apps site and they claim versions up to at least 31 are compatitble with 2000. Is there an advantage to going with 12 over the later ones?