Semi-OT: Email Program

Page 2 of 5
In typed:

If you have a choice of XP, W7, or W8, my personal opinion is that you should pick W7.
I have XP on two computers and it works fine for me, but it is no longer supported by Microsoft and that creates some security issues.
I also have W7 on several computers, and it works well. I did the free upgrade from W7 to W10 on a couple of them, and that works okay too.
I don't have W8 anywhere and I don't want it. W8 reminds me of Windows ME and Windows Vista -- both were "upgrades" or new versions and both were crap.
typed:

longer

free

Windows ME

were

Thanks. I may have to stick with XP for compatibility reasons. What security issues have you seen with XP since it's no longer supported? I have had none with 2000 myself.
wrote in message

Thanks. I may have to stick with XP for compatibility reasons. What security issues have you seen with XP since it's no longer supported? I have had none with 2000 myself. ===============The only problem I see with XP and IE8 is websites not displaying correctly, compared to Firefox.
On 10/31/2015 05:39 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

None. We have several XP build machines that can't be upgraded for various reasons. The company has decided to restrict their access to the internet just to be sure.

This isn't an anti-Microsoft rant but IE8 was a dog. The Javascript engine was very slow and with more sites depending heavily on client side Javascript it's a real loser.

When I'm using dialup and speed really shows, IE8 loads uncached sites faster than Firefox 42. Also Firefox won't display enhanced NWS weather radar and doesn't suggest which plug-in is missing. I fiddled with Adobe and some Mozilla-suggested Flash alternatives a bit, then went back to IE8. -jsw
On 10/31/2015 01:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Firefox 42 is a beta developer's version that won't be released to the general public until next month. 41.0.2 shows the NWS site fine on my 7 laptop. You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs.
How a site loads and performs can vary. We have one J2EE/Struts2 product that depends on client side Javascript. Operations that can take 30 seconds or longer on IE8 perform fine on IE9.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/03/18/the-new-javascript-engine-in-internet-explorer-9.aspx
We dropped support for IE8 and advised our clients to use Chrome if their machines couldn't run IE9.
With the trend towards HTML5 and heavy client side Javascript, along with the deprecation of Flash, Java applets, ActiveX, and other security nightmares enjoy IE8 while you can.

Oops, I typed that from memory. It's 41.0.2 on XP.
On 10/31/2015 04:31 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I don't know why it doesn't do NWS. I don't even get the banner saying "Are you really, really sure you want to let Flash out of its cage?"
| When I'm using dialup and speed really shows, IE8 loads uncached sites | faster than Firefox 42. Also Firefox won't display enhanced NWS | weather radar and doesn't suggest which plug-in is missing. I fiddled | with Adobe and some Mozilla-suggested Flash alternatives a bit, then | went back to IE8. | -jsw |
The landing page I get doesn't need anything, but if I click on the map it goes to a page set to loop. On that page is Flash. There's a blurb saying that Java is required for looping, but that's commented out, so I'm guessing it was replaced with Flash. I don't have Flash installed so I can't test that. I just get a gray panel saying, "a plugin is required...". It sounds like there may be a problem with your Flash install.
If it's working for you in IE8 that means you must have script and ActiveX enabled. That's *very* risky. I haven't allowed any version of IE online for many years and wouldn't. It's not only a security mess. It's also been the major target for many years, so there are a lot of known exploits, involving script- based attacks in IE.
On 11/01/2015 06:37 AM, Mayayana wrote:

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=FTG&product=N0R&loop=yes
doesn't ask for any plugins.
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/index_loop.php
does if you click on the map. I get the 'Do you want to allow Flash to run. blurb. Given that it's a government site they'll probably be using Flash after everyone else has moved on.
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

There are fewer problems than they'd like you to think , all the hackers are now focused on the newer OS's . I have several comps running XP Pro and XP Home , no problems that I'm aware of - but then I'm pretty anal about antivirus and antispyware software .
--
Snag

I have happily used XP Pro for many years - no security issues - - no compatibility issues - no problems what-so-ever. It's solid. The obsolete factor will eventually affect me - when I need to add new devices ... but it's been a great operating system, on my big old <used> HP tower, for a dozen years or more. John T.
--- ---
| I have happily used XP Pro for many years - no security issues - | - no compatibility issues - no problems what-so-ever. It's solid. | The obsolete factor will eventually affect me - when I need to add new | devices ...
I just ordered parts to build myself a new box. I have no plans to move from XP for the foreseeable future. I do have a Win7 box, but find it a hassle in a hundred small ways. I was pleased to find that there still seems to be pretty much universal hardware support for XP. Looking up drivers for Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, both companies had them for XP, as did ATI.
Like you, security is the least of my concerns with XP. I only worry that eventually some hardware or software I must have won't run. But I don't see that happening any time soon. The only software I'm aware of that won't run is Photoshop. But that went from ridiculously overpriced to ridiculously overpriced subscription. I have no regrets about not having Photoshop.
I think the people who warn about XP security are mainly people who have read the marketing press releases but don't actually know much about computers. Microsoft always markets by saying, "Our old stuff is dangerous junk. You should buy our new stuff!" (They're the only company I know that gets away with that.)
What people don't realize is that the vast majority of security issues are not with Windows itself. The problems are with "web-facing" software. I saw an article the other day saying that QuickTime is actually the biggest current threat on Windows. Other common security holes involve Flash, Adobe Acrobat Reader, IE, javascript and Java. Javascript is by far the biggest issue, being necessary for most other attacks. Anyone who doesn't use IE should be *at least* as safe on XP as they will be on Win7-10. disabling the items listed above will be the main factor in not getting malware.

And avoid using XP Internet Explorer under (almost) all circumstances.
--sp
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I agree. IE8 comes up short so often that I abandoned it on my one XP machine. I run Firefox on that one, and it runs fine.
That machine is a Dell netbook with 32 GB of SSD and no hard drive. I use it travelling and I store no files on it. When I come home from using it, I wipe the SSD clean and reload the entire OS and the few applications I use on it. I spent many hours a few years ago stripping down XP to the essentials, and I can reload everything from an external hard drive in five minutes (an image file), or from a CD in about 10 minutes.
--
Ed Huntress

A CD??
I had to strip out MS Office, OpenOffice and the .pdf reader to fit a bootable Acronis restore image of XP onto a single-sided DVD.
-jsw
| A CD?? | | I had to strip out MS Office, OpenOffice and the .pdf reader to fit a | bootable Acronis restore image of XP onto a single-sided DVD. |
I also have CD disk images. (BootIt. I've never used Acronis.) I only have 5 GB for my C drive altogether, in normal use. I keep data on data partitions. XP alone is about 1 GB, so a typical disk imaging program can create an image file of about 500 MB. That means one can add about 500 MB of software and still get it onto a CD.
A lot of software is getting very bloated these days, and Microsoft led the way with MS Office. But if one avoids bloat there's plenty of room in 500 MB.
With Win7, though, I'd agree. That's a mess and would take some work to squeeze onto a single DVD.
On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 12:28:56 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Sure. I have to use those old things for *something*! <g>

This is a bootable Acronis disk. It's around 350 MB, and I think it has an old version of Firefox on it, and maybe a free WP. My netbook is giving me a "disk error" message or I'd check.
I'd put a copy in my Dropbox, and invite you to download, except I think you're using dial-up, right?
I stripped off all of the backup files and a ton of other junk that I don't remember. I spent most of a day researching the Web to see what I could safely delete. The backup files, alone, knock the OS size in half.
--
Ed Huntress

Usually I just clone the master hard drive to a 'sandbox' one from my flea market collection, and update the master when the AV changes versions. The DVD is to restore the OS after a serious infection by booting it from a read-only drive.
On 11/02/2015 09:00 AM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
[snip]

About the only time I use any version of Internet Explorer is to see how my website looks on it.
Firefox is better (and you can still use the latest version on XP).
--
53 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).