Semi-OT: Email Program

Page 1 of 5
Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Snuffy
On 10/30/2015 11:43 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

You will have lots of choices as to email client (most will also serve as your USENET/NNTP client, as well). I use Thunderbird but that's not really an endorsement of Tbird -- nor a slam against its rivals.
IMO, what you will have to consider more seriously is how you want to transition between the two. I.e., do you want to drag your "old" email ("inbox" as well as "sent") -- and USENET -- into the new program? Or, are you content with making it a "clean break"?
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:43:39 -0700
wrote:

try? https://sites.google.com/site/simpledotnet/outlook-express-6

... except it doesn't say that it works with Win 2000 < ? > John T.
--- ---
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 16:30:58 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

works on win10 here... No install, unzip and use it.

On 10/30/2015 1:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Depends...
I am a Thunderbird user and have been for at least a decade. Prior to that I was using Eudora and some other "store boughten" 3rd party mail clients.
Thunderbird is, AFAIC, THE best mail client out there at any price and it's FREE.
Not saying that Outlook can't do the same - maybe it can, but will numerous users bitching about it's security problems, etc. why bother?
Thunderbird handles not only your email but will also sync with your calendar and handle newsgroups.
I've not found much that Thunderbird cannot handle and handle well.
Give it a try, the only thing you have to lose is the bit of time it takes for you to decide whether or not it's for you. It is, again, FREE!
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I'm a long-time Thunderbird user too; it works for me.
Perce

Double ditto's to that.
message Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Snuffy
----------
As an XP and OE user, I am a bit interested in your sob story.

help, so

serious

up. I

program.

8.

groups

less and

A short sob story but a real pain.... I suspect that running out of hard disk space may have caused it. But after I freed up plenty of space again, the problem was not solved.
Incoming emails work fine. Outgoing emails also being sent as usual, but staying in the Outbox - not being moved to Sent Mail folder, and then repeatedly sent over and over until I move them manually to another folder.
After trying a few fixes, about half the time emails are sent normally and moved to Sent Mail. I don't see a pattern -- simple emails with no attachments sent to the same address sometimes go through and other times stay in the Outbox and sent repeatedly.
I tried several fixes -- deleting folders.dbx, moving all files from Inbox, Outbox, Sent Files, Deleted Items folders then closing OE and deleting those dbx files manually.
I'll check a few more things this weekend before giving up. Would be nice to keep the folders and not spend the time transferring to a new set-up.
You can read more of what led up to this point at microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general. Bruce has been a huge help and source of info. He also recommends Thunderbird, so that will be my first try if needed.
On 10/30/2015 9:17 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Note that I recently was the "victim" of a colleague's THUNDERBIRD client sending me the same email every three minutes for many hours! So, OE doesn't have a monopoly on bugs! :>

Note that if you have an IMAP account (or, can convert your connection to the mail server to use IMAP), you may be able to configure your email client to "leave messages on server"; THEN, push the messages back to the corresponding "folders" on the mail server after reconfiguring the connection for IMAP.
Once you switch over to a new mail client, you can then "retrieve" the mail as if you're seeing it for the first time -- into the folders on your *PC*.

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

A cursory reading of that dialog indicates that you store a lot of stuff in OE "folders". I assume that you are aware that those "folders" are not actually folders but dbx files storing data sequentially, said data being resolved into discrete emails when the need arises.
I expect your problems might go away if you transferred your stored emails to actual Windows folders; i.e., store them external to OE. You can just drag and drop individual emails or groups of emails from OE to a Windows folder. They will become individual emails in the new folder, not dbx files; they will also become much larger because of the OS minimum allocation unit which greatly exceeds the size of a normal email. You can mitigate the size increase by zipping the folder.
In short, don't store stuff in OE, store it externally.
On 10/31/2015 12:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

You can set up T-bird to leave mail on your server if that is where OE leaves it. That's what I did on wife's computer for me but not when I use mine.
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I've been using OE for 16 years, it does what it says on the tin. You don't say what the problem is. XP is miles better than 2000, go for it! Thunderbird is a pain to set up.
On 10/30/2015 4:09 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'm just about certain that Thunderbird has evolved beyond the pain to set up times. Its been a couple of years but I put it on my wife's computer to use when my machine was down. I recall it was quite simple.

Thunderbird has a lot of options that can be set. That might confuse some people, but its defaults are reasonable so it should work for most right out of the box.
On 10/30/2015 05:55 PM, Nil wrote:

I use Thunderbird on both Windows and Linux boxes. In addition to email it also can do newsgroups.

Have you had any problems with it?
-jsw
On 10/31/2015 05:44 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Not in the last few years. I did have one Linux version that couldn't find its own mail. I pointed KMail at the directories. It read the stored messages with no problem so I stayed with KMail and KNode for news.
The more recent releases have been trouble free.