Semi-Gloss on Plaster Ceiling?

Some of the home improvement shows on TV have featured either gloss or semi-gloss white ceilings in homes. They say that it increases the illusion of ceiling height. I like the idea, but my ceilings are plaster, and have a lot of "character" (which some might call "imperfections".)
Would a gloss or semi-gloss paint call out these imperfections and magnify them? Would it be a mistake to use anything other than flat paint?
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 26, 2:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Only if you did not like the results. Since this is a matter of taste not some sort of factual question, I can't guess if you are going to like it or not.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 26, 1:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Keep in mind that flat paint in an area like a kitchen ceiling that may sometimes need cleaning is not a good choice. Stop by a paint store, or a paint department and check the label on products specifically intended for ceilings. Take the opinions of TV home improvement hosts with several grains of salt. Many of them are simply regurgitating what they remember from classes in art school a couple of years ago. Too many factors are involved in decorating rooms skillfully to claim that a white ceiling making the room seem higher is right for your home. In fact, it could kill the ambience in some rooms making them appear rather austere. Guests in a north facing room with light blue walls and a bright flat white ceiling for example, might think they had wandered into the freezer by mistake. Whatever, choose wisely and if it doesn't look 'right', repainting will often make it acceptable.
HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

The question is more about sheen than color. White is the color we'll be using...it's just a matter of flat or semi-gloss. I've heard that every imperfection will jump out at you with semi-gloss...
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, semi-gloss paint shows imperfections more plainly, but flat paint won't hide big problems.
I always recommend that people use the shiniest paint they can stand. Glossier paints last longer and are easier to clean. Flat paints suck up dirt and never let it go.
The contractor who built my house used flat paint. Every time I've tried to clean it, I wind up rubbing the paint off. Ceilings gather dust, and you seldom get up there to clean them. Flat paint makes it harder to clean.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
The question is more about sheen than color. White is the color we'll be using...it's just a matter of flat or semi-gloss. . . . .
---------------
I am not sure, but I think the choices are sometimes "flat", "satin", "semi-gloss", and "gloss". In other words, I think some brands of paint offer a "satin" finish which is in between "flat" and "semi-gloss". You may want to try a small test area and see what you think before doing the whole ceiling.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 26, 1:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would not use semi with any defects in plaster, remember basic white is greyed , bot good unless walls are in the blue-grey tones.
Add pictures here
✖

I ONLY use sem gloss paint on everything, for easy clean up of any marks on walls etc. paint jobs last far longer this way
scrubbing flat paint leaves a wierd mark
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have a plaster dropped ceiling with one longish crack and a spot where the plaster bulges a bit. I've painted the ceiling with semigloss and it's fine by me. I don't notice the flaws more with it. Frankly, I think any new coat of any paint will mask flaws to some degree.
But I don't get any illusion of a higher ceiling from using semigloss. I just like the increased brightness without having to add another lamp in the room. Call me thrifty...
HellT
Add pictures here
✖