Selling an Old New Chain Saw?

Page 1 of 2

I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a 25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness. Further, I took it to a local saw shop to see if it actually runs. A couple of squirts of gas, and examination by the mechanic and it was off and running. The guy said off handedly that's a little gem, and sounds like a new one.
What's next? Do invite a prospective seller to open it up somehow and look inside as proof? Comments? Is there a way to buy tool insurance, a warranty? I just had a thought related to that which might work. I'm in a small time but we do have a very, very good tool store here. Maybe I need to visit them for advice.
BTW, we bought the saw originally to clear some land, but an injury kept it from being used. In the interim another land clearing solution intervened, and the saw was pretty much forgotten until recently.

What size saw? My pos Poulan died and I can use a new one
RBM wrote:

W. eWatson wrote:

What's next is to list it on Craigslist at your asking price. If it doesn't sell, you can:
a) Lower your asking price, or b) Keep the saw
HeyBub wrote:

interesting about that. Advertising has shrunk, so it appears that they now offer almost free ads. For a basic ad, no frills, it's free. If you want a cute border, it cost $1.00. A photo is $5.00, etc. They put on their web site for free.

10 yr old, well its just like any piece of metal unused it can go bad, I guess you never heard of internal rust, drying rubber, cracking plastic, drying out of Capacitors. 25% off isnt enough, I let my Lawnboy sit in a shed a year and the bearings rusted it runs but its slower and that rust is now bearing grinding compound. So to it being actualy worth only 25% less with no warranty [ even if I was to believe its was unused , Yea right ] its not worth 75% of new value, maybe its worth 20- 25%, if I had it in my hand and it started , ran, cut, restarted, didnt leak etc. That thing could have several seals and components fail after a week and cost hundreds fo fix, Ive seen that happen many times.
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:36:16 -0700, "W. eWatson"

Put it on eBay. Instead of a 25% reduction, you might get a 25% premium over the original price.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

add to this...there is an excellent chance that it was made better (and of better materials) than today's Husky.
bob_v

Unused 10 years in a basement, 25% premium! I guess there is a sucker born every minute. Echos new motors are better the Husky then or now, just read Echos Gov hour rating, that is proven quality. My Echo Husky Honda tool shop says the new Echos outlast Huskavarna. I sold a similar Gas Echo trimmer, "basicly" new 10 yrs old I got 25% of new value, a little cleaning and it looked new. This is a unknown person mail deal, no warranty, no return, no money back, you dont know if it wont be leaking in a week from dried gaskets and hoses or even run right. Now if he lets you use it a few days thats different.

You're just looking for a give-away price...and you would grab it in a second!

I sold an echo gas timmer I used 3-4 hrs to my lawn guy for 1/4 new, no I would not buy something I could not try, yea used once before Katrina, Ive heard that about cars.
ransley wrote:

sale for bid. It cost me $70 new. The final bid was $220.

I got $4300 for a travel trailer I paid $200 for.

Heavy item incurs high shipping cost which may reduce the final price. Try craigslist -- start with a high price, then reduce it a little bit every few days until it sells.

Sound advice!
A number of other things I can think of come into play too.
1) In general, I think if you went to the store this morning and bought a brand new, good quality chain saw, I'd be very surprised if you could get 75% of the price this afternoon (assuming no natural disasters).
2) Are parts still available?
3) Is it a particularly desirable model for some reason?
4) At least it's a big name saw.
And, I probably would not invite prospective buyers to open it up. Even if the gaskets are OK, they may be stuck and will be destroyed in the process. The result will be leaks that will discourage other buyers (the one that opens it probably won't buy it because he now knows the gaskets are toast).
Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

wouldn't be happy about a "test drive" on wood, or opening it up to any great extent. Enough maybe to show glistening new material. I could take a picture I suppose to show prospective buyers. I could refer them to the saw shop where I had it cleaned and started.
W. eWatson wrote:

Re-word your description to call it "NOS" (new old stock). People like NOS stuff! I personally think it would be fairly simple to tell from the outside of it that it's never been used. Either it's not used or someone took extraordinary measures to use it but keep it looking brand new. If it were used it would have telltale signs like little scratches and such. I'd have gas and oil in it so it can be started but I wouldn't let anyone to try cutting wood. That would surely make it look used.

Rule of thumb is that if it's used, it is worth half retail in good condition. Even though this has never been used, it will need some work because it has sat. There are gaskets and rubber parts in the carb that will need to be checked and or replaced. If you CAN get more than half, that's good, too.
I'd say, a new one is $350, and this one has never been used. How much do you offer, and take phone numbers. In this tight economy, who knows. And for a few bucks more, one can buy one with a warranty.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Yep, anything used is rarely worth more than 1/2 of retail pricing. Put it on Craigslist for 75% of retail, and be willing to take 1/3 less than that so the guy thinks he's a good negotiator.
Jon