Self-propelled Yard Machines mower so SLOW... can I make it faster?

I inherited a well-maintained Yard Machines 6HP self-propelled mower from my home's pervious owner. It's loaded: electric start, convertible bagger, all the goodies.

But the self-propelled speed is VERY SLOW. Good for a 75-year old man shuffling along, but for me at 27 it's kind of taxing. Holding in all the levers is actually starting to hurt my wrist after 45 minutes! Even my dad at 57 decided "this thing sucks. Lawn mowing should be fun!" I agree.

Any way to make these things move faster? Gear changes, etc?

Reply to
bryanska

Have you tried pushing it without the self-propel drive engaged? Always a good option if it is practical.

Reply to
sleepdog

It's quite heavy. Much heavier than a regular push mower, especially with a big 6HP engine and electric start parts.

The problem is, it goes only marginally faster when I push it. I just can't get this thing around the yard, and I'm a fit guy!

Reply to
bryanska

Good questions. I haven't opened the thing up yet. But yeah, I will definitely poke around, call Yard Machines, and let y'all know.

It'd be a shame to let this mower go. The previous owner went into a retirement home, and left us all these wonderfully maintained things. The lawnmower just purrs like a kitten otherwise.

Reply to
bryanska

"bryanska" wrote in news:1128017282.629062.61270 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Maybe the belt is slipping (not tight enough)? Maybe the drive wheels have worn down?

I have the same problem with my self-propelled mower. It has noticably slowed down over the last 5 years or so. I haven't really gotten into it yet though.

Have you called Yard Machines yet?

Let us know.

Reply to
Dave

Perhaps you've discovered why the previous owner left it behind...

BTW, "Lawn mowing should be fun?!?" ;-)

Reply to
Dan

I have one and there isn't much you can do beside being sure the belt is not slipping and the throttle cable is opening the carb all the way. The belt drives the transmission, the output shaft drives a chain that goes to the axle shaft. Both sprockets are part of the shafts. I have thought of bigger wheels but they would need to match the ratchet drive under the hub caps.

Reply to
gfretwell